[Vision2020] First electrical power to Moscow, Idaho

Ron Force ronforce at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 14:59:58 PDT 2019

Several publications mention the "electric light plant" . Here's a couple
of pictures from the UI Special Collections.
https://digital.lib.uidaho.edu/digital/collection/ott/id/453/rec/1
https://digital.lib.uidaho.edu/digital/collection/ott/id/454/rec/1

The story:
https://books.google.com/books?id=qLJNIiwGuVUC&pg=PA78&lpg=PA78&dq=michael+j+Shields+moscow+id&source=bl&ots=ZqQqFvjlls&sig=ACfU3U0It0Ut3OsTFCufQfTw98s6fiIg1A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwin8NKFp_7jAhVJlFQKHZbbBFsQ6AEwBXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=michael%20j%20Shields%20moscow%20id&f=false

Sadly, Shields died at 57, and was preceded in death by his children:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/24033911/michael-joseph-shields

He had gone bust in the 1893 depression but had recovered somewhat:
https://accessgenealogy.com/idaho/biography-of-michael-j-shields.htm

One of his buildings lives on:
 Use of the Italianate style for downtown buildings was also relatively
common as in the Shields Building on the intersection’s southeast corner.
Michael Shields developed the Shields Building North as Moscow’s first
three-story brick building with an elevator in 1889. The building has since
lost some of its original ornamentation and has been modified at the street
level.
https://sah-archipedia.org/buildings/ID-01-057-0003

Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA