[Vision2020] Recycling

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Sat Sep 1 09:45:04 PDT 2018

Maybe it’s the well-recognized phenom of aspirational recycling?  If so, even though it causes significant problems, it’s a good thing because it’s an indicator that those people actually care about the environment & more education seems to work.

Also, as the article Ron shared pointed out, I’m glad China is apparently finally more concerned about pollution even if it does make finding markets for recyclables more challenging – maybe that challenge will push progression in packaging R&D.  Based on the reading I’ve done, it seems it’s the big changes (like what China is doing) that really make a difference even though the small steps many/most of us try to take aren’t meaningless.  Which is one of the reasons the trend of this administration to undo environmental protections that have improved the quality of life for millions & millions of Americans over the decades so disturbing.  I personally don’t give a flying f*ck about reducing the deficit if we aren’t going to have things like clean air and clean water . . . and a healthy earth & oceans capable of sustaining quality life.

Roger, in spite of what you saw at the recycling center, I think Moscow’s contamination rate is still pretty low for communities that have adopted single stream recycling.  A friend told me this was recently discussed at PW/F meeting, and Moscow’s contamination rate is around 9%?  It’s not good enough, but in doing some reading, it seems that single stream has pretty dramatically increased contamination rates in general:  that convenience has come with a cost, especially now that China doesn’t want the world’s trash.  A couple of sources indicate around a 25% contamination rate in single stream is average while another source indicated contamination rates typically range from around 12-32%.  So, while we still have loads of room for improvement, I’m pleased we are ahead of the curve when it comes to recycling contamination rates.

This seems to be a good opportunity to ask:  our single stream curbside recycling program is apparently going to cut back in some pretty dramatic ways (we’re still hurting over the glass in this household), at least, that’s what was discussed at the meeting.  Does anyone have any details?  My friend thought a lot of plastics would be out as well as things like juice boxes?

TIA,

Saundra