[Vision2020] Linda Pall, the 'champion of the underdog'

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Mon May 7 03:52:32 PDT 2018

Courtesy of today’s (May 7, 2018) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Tom Trail.

Letter: Linda Pall, the 'champion of the underdog'

I remember an experience with Linda Pall that highlighted to me her commitment to defend the underdog in a fight with the U.S. Government. This happened around 2010 when I was in the Idaho Legislature.

A resident living about 7 miles east of Kooski approached me in Boise and said he needed my help with a problem he had with the U.S. Forest Service. It involved restricting the use of his property. He raised hunting dogs and boarded dogs. This was a big business for him. The Forest Service said that, under the terms of the Frank Church Wilderness Area, he could not raise hunting dogs on his small acreage since it was not an agricultural enterprise. He defense was that he purchased the property before the passage of the Frank Church Wilderness Act and thus was grandfathered in and could raise his dogs.

He had lost several times in court. He said he had hired an incompetent lawyer. I suggested he contact Pall and that she was a bulldog when it came to working for her clients and a just cause. I introduced him to Pall and she took the case. She fought the case all the way to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals and won the case. It was a clear case of the U.S. government overstepping its boundaries and almost bankrupting a private citizen. Pall was complimented by one the justices of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals for her presentation. I will always remember Pall as the champion of the underdog.

Tom Trail
Moscow

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com