[Vision2020] Pall a 'champion of Moscow'

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Tue May 1 03:37:28 PDT 2018

Courtesy of today’s (May 1, 2018) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

———————————————-

Pall a 'champion of Moscow'
Former attorney and longtime Moscow City Councilor Linda Pall has died, but her legacy can still be seen throughout city

Longtime Moscow resident Linda Pall worked as an attorney, but her impact on Moscow stretched much further than her law career.

Pall, who battled various medical issues over the years, died in her sleep Sunday morning at her home, said Zachary Pall, Linda's son.

She was 73.

Linda's impact on the city started shortly after she moved to Moscow in 1972 and continued well into the 21st century. During her 46 years in Moscow, she helped found Moscow Day School, a preschool that continues today, and she was instrumental in growing the Farmers Market. She helped preserve historic buildings, such as the Carnegie Library and the U.S. Post Office (now City Hall) and was a charter member of the Latah County Human Rights Task Force, to list a few of her accomplishments.

Zachary said she deeply loved Moscow.

"You look around Moscow, and you see Linda Pall," he said.

Nancy Chaney, Linda's friend and a former mayor of Moscow, said the 1912 Center would have been a parking lot if not for Linda's efforts.

"She really was a larger-than-life character," Chaney said.

Pall served three stints totaling 18

years on the Moscow City Council and ran for mayor last year, but she was defeated by incumbent Bill Lambert.

Chaney said Pall valued democracy and recognized Moscow as a special place in which citizen involvement is important.

As a city councilor, Chaney said Linda showed her intelligence and earned the respect and, oftentimes, affection of people who agreed and disagreed with her.

“Linda’s reputation preceded her because she was involved in so many aspects of our community over so many years, and I think she’s viewed the community of Moscow as kind of an extension of her being,” Chaney said.

Former Moscow Mayor Marshall Comstock, who is running to represent Idaho’s 5th District in the state Senate, said the entire city is affected by her loss.

“Linda was always a champion of Moscow,” Comstock said. “She was just a wonder woman as far as getting things done. Once she sunk her teeth into something, boy, she didn’t let go.”

Comstock said while the two did not always see eye-to-eye on everything, they did most of the time.

“Even when we disagreed, we did it as friends,” Comstock said. “She was a wonderful woman, and Moscow’s going to miss her a lot.”

Lambert, who served with Linda on the City Council, said he first met Linda 40 years ago when she was on the City Council at the time.

He said their paths have crossed several times over the years.

Lambert said Linda was like the older sister who you did not get along with most of the time, but you loved her and respected her for what she was, Lambert said.

“She had her convictions, boy,” he said. “She stuck to her guns.”

Lambert said he respected that about her. He said she told you where she stood on things, whether you agreed with her or not.

“One of the things that I highly respected Linda Pall for was the fact she never lied to me,” Lambert said.

Don Burnett, former University of Idaho College of Law dean and former interim university president, said he became acquainted with Linda when he started his service as dean in 2002. Burnett, now a UI professor of law emeritus, said Linda organized statewide programs on judicial independence and impartiality. He said she organized an ongoing program called Love the Law to encourage young people to pursue law as a form of service to their community.

Burnett said her life was fuller than any individual would be expected to live. He said he admired her because, despite her lingering health problems, she had more energy than people without health issues.

Chaney said Pall’s Moscow legacy is diversity.

“Her legacy is the diversity we enjoy today in every aspect of our town,” she said.

Chaney said Linda, despite her health, invited her and her husband over for wine, cheese and soft jazz the weekend before she died.

“We want people to know that she lived life full blast until the very end,” Chaney said.

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com