[Vision2020] Council's defensive posture

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Mar 9 04:19:12 PST 2018

Courtesy of today’s (March 9, 2018) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Mary Read.

Letter: Council's defensive posture

I was glad to see that Lee Rozen chose Moscow's Third Street Bridge project as the subject for his parting editorial (Our View, Feb. 28). I applaud Lee for saying what needs to be said, and I encourage the mayor and City Council to do the hard work of not proceeding with a misguided project that originated over 20 years ago and is simply not needed in today's Moscow. We are a pedestrian and bicycle friendly city that cares about our environment and personal health. We have made good decisions to support these values, including our well-loved recreational paths and implementation of sharrows and bicycle parking downtown.

I won't restate the sound arguments Lee articulated so well. And I applaud the City Council and subcommittee for their work exploring traffic-calming measures and presenting the results of citizen input on that work. The fact that the selected option was most friendly to bicycle/pedestrian traffic demonstrates the high value we place on this aspect of our community.

I attended public meetings on the topic, reviewed the traffic calming plans and submitted feedback. I exchanged emails with council members and read data on the city's website. I earnestly tried to understand the rationale for this project, and each time I delved into it, or listened to our council discuss it, I came to the same conclusion - this project should have been dropped years ago. A majority of the council responds from a defensive posture, which makes the average citizen suspicious of the real reason they voted to proceed. Good information and feedback has come forward since the project was slipped into the 2018 budget. There is no dishonor in reconsideration - it shows maturity and healthy decision making.

Mary Read, Moscow

http://www.MoscowCares.com

- John Lennon