[Vision2020] A broader look at Third

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Mon Jan 29 01:13:48 PST 2018

Courtesy of today’s (January 29, 2018) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to D. Nels Reese.

———————————————-

Letter: A broader look at Third

We should take a new and fresh look at Third Street. As the city moves forward with plans for a new connecting bridge, the opportunity arises to create a pedestrian- and bicycle-friendly street unique to Moscow and the region. Imagine bicyclists enjoying the safe ride from Mountain View Road to Main Street.

The city took time with a select committee to review opportunities for Third Street. Several options have been on show at City Hall. The "C Option" - dedicated to bicycle traffic - offers the most possibilities.

With a more creative charge, the redevelopment of Third Street could be even more profound.

The Fort Russell Neighborhood Historic District has been expanded and runs for seven blocks from Jefferson to Hayes Street - City Hall to East City Park - two very used and loved sites.

Those seven blocks represent the longest stretch of historic blocks in the city. The Downtown Historic District, just five blocks long, includes six stand-alone buildings on Main Street that are on the National Register, while Third Street has four: City Hall (1910), the First Methodist Church (1904), the 1912 Center (1912) and the Mason Cornwall House (1889).

We have made great strides in turning Main Street and its historic properties into a very pleasing and useful area that respects pedestrians and accepts cars. We could do the same on Third. Imagine - along with the relatively flat bicycle lane - a row of flowering trees along East City Park.

As sidewalks need to be repaired we could enlarge them into 6-feet-wide walks rather than the very tight 4-foot walks. There could be special lights and signage that would assist citizens in understanding where the Historic District begins and ends.

My point is that this: the Third Street opportunity is quite special and should not be squandered.

D. Nels Reese
Moscow

http://www.MoscowCares.com