[Vision2020] Recycling

Ron Force ronforce at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 17:17:35 PDT 2018

We've been dumping our waste on China, and they've finally had enough:

*For more than 25 years, rich countries shipped their plastic trash to
poorer Asian countries, many of them developing nations lacking the
capacity to manage such waste.China alone took in the lion’s share—45
percent of the world’s plastic waste imports. Then at the start of this
year, it refused to take more, citing local environmental concerns. China’s
move threw the recycling industry into turmoil as nations scrambled to find
new buyers.*
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/06/china-plastic-recycling-ban-solutions-science-environment/

The article points out that 89% of the exported plastics were singe-use
food packaging. I noticed that Newman's spaghetti sauce at Winco has
switched from glass jars to plastic. I'm sure it's cheaper to ship
lightweight plastic rather than heavier glass jars. Perhaps we need to
figure out how to about build disposal costs into the price of products.

Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA