[Vision2020] Free one-night-only performance of "Natural Shocks"

O'Neill, Kelly (koneill@uidaho.edu) koneill at uidaho.edu
Wed Apr 18 12:43:40 PDT 2018

FREE ONE-NIGHT-ONLY PERFORMANCE AT KENWORTHY
Kelly Quinnett, head of performance at the Theatre Arts Department at the University of Idaho, is performing a one-night-only, free, staged reading of “Natural Shocks” by Lauren Gunderson at 5 p.m. Thursday, April 19, at the Kenworthy Performing Arts Center, 508 South Main Street, Moscow. Doors open at 4:30 p.m. Free advance tickets are available at BookPeople of Moscow, at Shoup Hall, room 201 on the U of I campus, or at the door 30 minutes before curtain.

“Natural Shocks” is a new, unpublished play by Lauren Gunderson, who was named America’s most produced playwright by American Theatre magazine in 2018. Based on Hamlet’s “to be or not to be” soliloquy, “Natural Shocks” is part confessional, part stand up and part reckoning as the main character waits in her basement for the arrival of an imminent tornado.

Quinnett describes the play as “witty and gorgeous and heartbreaking. The script is so authentic and comical and then it makes this turn with new revelations,” Quinnett said. “It’s really about secrets and the consequences of secrets.”

Directing the reading is Shea King, a Master of Fine Arts candidate in the College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences who works with Quinnett as a graduate teaching assistant. King directed her in the staged reading of “To Tokyo and the Moon” by Steve Yockey at the Region 7 Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival in Spokane in February.

About the University of Idaho
The University of Idaho, home of the Vandals, is Idaho’s land-grant, national research university. From its residential campus in Moscow, U of I serves the state of Idaho through educational centers in Boise, Coeur d’Alene and Idaho Falls, a research and Extension center in Twin Falls, plus Extension offices in 42 counties. Home to more than 12,000 students statewide, U of I is a leader in student-centered learning and excels at interdisciplinary research, service to businesses and communities, and in advancing diversity, citizenship and global outreach. U of I competes in the Big Sky Conference and Sun Belt Conference. Learn more at www.uidaho.edu<http://www.uidaho.edu/>.

Media Contact:
Kelly O’Neill
Theatre Arts Media Relations
208-885-6465