[Vision2020] Acorns and winter?

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 18:51:49 PDT 2017

Given the ENSO (El Nino Southern Oscillation, a coupled atmospheric ocean
circulation model) diagnostic from Oct. 16 from the Climate Prediction
Center indicates a La Nina watch for northern hemisphere winter 2017-18,
the Pacific Northwest may indeed have a wetter and colder winter than
average.  However, ENSO neutral conditions are present, and the probability
of a La Nina are as quoted below.  I have read sources indicating even if
there is a La Nina, it will be weak.

The following website first below offers an in-depth discussion of La Nina
winters in the Inland Empire, as some call E. Washington/N. Idaho:

http://inlandnorthwestweather.blogspot.com/2017/10/la-nina-are-you-coming-back.html

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

*ENSO: Recent Evolution, Current Status and Predictions*

*Climate Prediction Center / NCEP 16 October 2017 *

*ENSO-Neutral conditions are present.* *

*La Niña conditions are favored (~55%-65%) during the Northern Hemisphere
fall and winter 2017-18.* *

*Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett*