[Vision2020] Remove Staben now

Ron Force ronforce at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 21:33:51 PST 2017

Presidential searches these days are run by professional search firms who
have databases of tried and true candidates (usually at least one or more
president terms in their background) and  promising young up-and-comers
(provosts and law or medical deans). To satisfy more conservative tastes
they can throw in non-academics--business men and politicians. What all of
these have in common is they're careerists, looking to build a reputation
before moving on to the next big thing. But, don't stay too long or the
B.S.will catch up to you. The average tenure of college and university
presidents these days is 6 years.

I've seen a lot of presidents come and go at the UI. What the careerists
all have in common is they come in expecting if they do a good job, show
some growth in priority areas, serve the state, and keep the students
happy, the Board of Education and the Legislature will recognize and reward
the institution. What happens, of course, is regardless of results they cut
the budget and tell the UI to keep on doing more with less. Who'd want to
stay under those circumstances? What's remarkable is that they find
candidates naive enough to take the job to begin with.

I don't know the Stabens, met him and his wife a couple of times. I do know
that she was hoping to find a medical slot in town, but had to go to Boise
for an opening. They also own a home in Taos, so the New Mexico opening may
have looked tempting.  If you expect loyalty and stability from a
president, the president has a right to have that reciprocated by the
state. So far, that hasn't been forthcoming.

Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA