[Vision2020] Democratic process shoved aside

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Nov 10 02:51:00 PST 2017

Courtesy of today’s (November 10, 2017) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Kathy Warren.

Letter: Democratic process shoved aside

I live "in the country," outside Moscow city limits, so I am ineligible to vote in Moscow elections. However, I travel - by car and bicycle - just 5 miles to the city limits and then use city streets and trails daily, often more than once daily. I make use of all amenities, including retail, restaurants, Heart of the Arts and government buildings. I attend city events, consult with city professionals and police officers when needed, and, yes, have paid city-issued traffic tickets on occasion. I am willing to pay city taxes if taxation boundaries were to be extended. In sum, I feel I have a vested interest in city elections.

I have been reading with interest the controversy surrounding the building of a bridge connecting Third Street and Mountain View Avenue. I was so pleased in 2007 to attend meetings gathering public input on what kind of bridge should be built and was gratified to observe the council's response to this input leading to Resolution 2007-30.

Thus, I am as puzzled as anyone how this resolution can be ignored now. I might better be able to understand the change in resolution if it had been resurrected at a City Council meeting and new statistics presented pros and cons addressing the legitimate concerns about congestion and aesthetic consequences that were raised and heard 10 years ago. What has changed?

The democratic process has been shoved aside, and I find that both out of character with established city and county government tradition here, and a shameful disregard for people who have spent hours researching and reporting the consequences.

OK, my vote wasn't there because of my address, but I am a Moscow resident (since 1962) in heart, spirit and use. So please hear my voice.

Kathy Warren, Moscow

http://www.MoscowCares.com