[Vision2020] Psychological terrorism

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Mon Jun 26 01:35:19 PDT 2017

Courtesy of today's (June 26, 2017) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with special thanks to Kenneth Faunce.

--------------------------------

Psychological terrorism

The members of the Moscow Human Rights Commission and I, as chair, want to comment on the multiple acts of terrorism that there have been lately, both directed at taking human life and intimidating people into submission. While the first is physical, the second is a form of psychological warfare, and we are seeing it here in our own state.

In Boise, the Idaho Anne Frank Human Rights Memorial has been the recent site of hate when someone defaced the building with racist and anti-Semitic graffiti. This is a disgrace to all Idahoans to have such a prominent display of hate in our state.

However, the way Idahoans came together to both denounce the act and clean up the more than $20,000 in damage is heartening. This is a far cry from the late 1990s when racist groups were active in North Idaho, frightening racial and religious minorities. Dan Prinzing of the Wassmuth Human Rights Center called the reversal in Boise turning "tragedy into triumph."

Still, the actions of a few make us realize America is not yet a free nation for many people who still feel the sting of discrimination. As U.S. citizens, we are all eligible to the rights guaranteed in the Constitution no matter our race, religion or national origin. As believers in human rights, we should all treat one another with respect and work to end such horrid displays of hate and ignorance. This is not necessarily on a large scale - just in our everyday lives not to tell jokes which are racist, homophobic or target people because of their physical attributes or religion.

Most religions tell us to treat others as we want to be treated, and not doing harm in either words or actions is a great start.

Kenneth Faunce, Moscow

Some previous activities of the Latah County Human Rights Task Force and the Moscow Human Rights Commission

http://www.moscowcares.com/HumanRights/

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com