[Vision2020] A Great Website

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Sat Jan 28 12:31:20 PST 2017

On 1/28/2017 7:38 AM, Rose Huskey wrote:

>   I enjoy taking on-line course on a variety of topics (go to
>   https://www.edx.org/  to find an enormous number of free  no credit
>   on-line on a huge variety of topics from top ranking universities
>   and colleges).  Consequently, I frequently receive information on
>   many courses.  This morning the following notice appeared in my
>   email.  The instructors are faculty members at the University of
>   Washington.  They are developing a course that they hope will be
>   accepted in the UW curriculum soon. Meanwhile, they offer an outline
>   of the course with access to a syllabus, reading material etc. on
>   line.  It looks fascinating, informative, and certainly necessary in
>   order to successfully navigate our current political climate.   For
>   a quick overview and suggested related reading material go to:
>   http://callingbullshit.org/index.html

Yes, there isn't any doubt about it.  Our cultural environment is
permeated with the electromagnetic and chemical emanations of signals
appearing either organized and orchestrated or random and chaotic, but
which demand sense-making attention either for curiosity satisfaction or
skillful survival.  Whether referred to as political communication and
called free speech, or sexualized advertising and called marketing, or
fresh-baking odors and called comfort foods, most of us are bombarded
with brain-interpretation requests at rates beyond which we are able to
respond to ourselves successfully.  Critical thinking skills are aptly
named, and often in need of development, refinement, and variegated
practice.  So, the course you're suggesting may have some significant
value for many people.

I am aware of the edx.org site for other reasons.  One of them is as a
source of materials to learn about, and to study for certification in
accomplishment relative to, the theory, practice, and operational
details of the Linux operating system.  Open source software is another
facet of people's opportunities to take more control over their
immediate environment, in this case their computational environment.
Linux is an important facet of this growing knowledge base.

Another organization and web site that should be mentioned here is The
Great Courses, not only for the variety of self-study materials they
offer on a wide range of topics, but also because, at this moment, and
through February 9, 2017, they are offering a special sale for new
customers that involves an eighty percent (80%) price reduction on their
course materials.  So, if now, near the beginning of the semester
beginning in winter (it being rather awkward to call it the Spring
semester), you're curiously looking for something interesting to
mitigate cabin fever before the summer solstice, web-surfing to
www.buygreatcourses.com will allow you to view what they have on offer,
and to stock up on lower-priced materials. Alternatively, you may
telephone 1-800-832-2412.

Ken