[Vision2020] Voddie Baucham

Rose Huskey rosejhuskey at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 17:59:12 PST 2017

The following article i
<https://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2014/12/01/6-things-you-should-know-abou
t-voddie-baucham/> s from a thoughtful conservative Christian website.
Although this might not be the usual reading material for many Vision 2020
followers because Voddie will be rolling into Moscow courtesy of the college
chapter of Christ Church, it is worth your time to check out this fellow.
The article exposes the deeply flawed thinking and preaching of Voddie.  If
you protest against his presence (and he would love it if you did) do it
with joy and laughter not rancor.  Sing, clap, wave, put on a little drama -
let him (and his Moscow posse know) he has no power in our community, our
heads, much less our hearts.  It is wise to remember however, that birds of
a feather flock together, and he wouldn't have been invited to town with the
permission and sponsorship of  Doug Wilson.  Voddie Baucham has, in my
opinion, not a single redeeming virtue as a husband, father, or pastor.
What a pity that the students and their advisor, Christ Church elder Matt
Gray <http://www.christkirk.com/crf/> , would invite this abusive man to
town under the guise of diversity.  It wonder what other trash they might
drag into town under their deeply flawed notion of fellowship.

Rose Huskey

6 Things You Should Know About Voddie Baucham

Posted on December 1, 2014
<https://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2014/12/01/6-things-you-should-know-abou
t-voddie-baucham/>  by R.L. Stollar
<https://homeschoolersanonymous.org/author/rlstollar/>  45 comments
<https://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2014/12/01/6-things-you-should-know-abou
t-voddie-baucham/#comments>

Voddie Baucham. CC image courtesy of Flickr. Image links to source.

By R.L. Stollar, HA Community Coordinator

Due to the controversy over the lack of indictment of Darren Wilson in the
Michael Brown shooting in Ferguson, Missouri, American Christians are having
heated conversations about racism in the United States. One of these
conversations was provoked by an article written by Voddie Baucham for The
Gospel Coalition. Baucham's article, entitled
<http://www.donotlink.com/colv> "Thoughts on Ferguson", was immediately
criticized <http://www.donotlink.com/cqfm>  by fellow conservative Christian
Thabiti Anyabwile. Today four Christian leaders of color - Austin Channing
Brown, Christena Cleveland, Drew Hart and Efrem Smith - condemned Baucham
for an
<http://www.christenacleveland.com/2014/12/black-on-black-violence-pastor-vo
ddie-bauchams-assault-on-black-people/> "assault on black people" that was
"dishonoring the image of God in black people, especially at a time when so
many black Americans are in pain."

As all these conversations are happening, it seems a lot of people who
didn't grow up in the conservative Christian homeschooling world are
wondering: who is Voddie Baucham? Well, as people who did grow up in the
conservative Christian homeschooling world, let us assure you: oh we can
tell you. For those unfamiliar with Baucham's extremism, here are 6 things
you should know (and share with anyone who's sharing Baucham's article):

1. Voddie Baucham was a featured speaker at a male supremacist homeschool
conference that called for dismantling child protection systems.

Voddie Baucham is one of the most outspoken proponents of "Christian
Patriarchy," an extreme movement within conservative Christian homeschooling
that advocates for male supremacy and men ruling over their wives and
children, especially female children. Two of Baucham's fellow Christian
Patriarchy advocates, Doug Phillips
<http://www.wnd.com/2014/04/pastor-accused-of-using-nanny-as-sex-object-2/>
and Bill Gothard
<http://www.christianpost.com/news/bill-gothard-quits-institute-he-founded-a
fter-allegations-of-rampant-sexual-harassment-cites-bible-passage-on-reconci
liation-115795/> , now stand accused of sexual abuse and harassment.

In 2009, an exclusively male group of such homeschool leaders descended upon
Indianapolis, Indiana for a
<https://homeschoolersanonymous.wordpress.com/2013/05/14/end-child-protectio
n-doug-phillips-hslda-and-the-2009-mens-leadership-summit/> "Men's
Leadership Summit." Voddie Baucham was one of the featured speakers at the
summit. This summit included calls for girls needing to have an entirely
home-focused education, the need to defeat "feminism" in homeschooling, the
concern that "the female sin of the internet" (framed as equal to "the male
sin of pornography") was blogging, and the necessity of men taking back
their rightful place as head of their own households. The summit also
featured Doug Phillips declaring the entire child protection system should
be dismantled. During his speech, Baucham himself complained that, "The
homeschool movement is now rife with parents who do not know their roles" -
a reference to the strict roles demanded by Christian Patriarchy.

2. This creepy quotation from Voddie Baucham:

"A lot of men are leaving their wives for younger women because they yearn
for attention from younger women. And God gave them a daughter who can give
them that. And instead they go find a substitute daughter..you've seen it,
we've all seen it. These old guys going and finding these substitute
daughters."

As Libby Anne said last year
<http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2013/07/a-twisted-fatherdaught
er-relationship.html>  when this quotation was going around,

"There is nothing wrong with arguing that a strong father/daughter
relationship is important-if, that is, you're also arguing that strong
parent/child relationships in general are important. But there's something
weird when you elevate the father/daughter relationship above these others
and start arguing that fathers and daughters should find in each other what
they would otherwise go looking for in sexual and romantic relationships.
Voddie Baucham says that middle aged men should turn to their teenage
daughters to get the attention and fulfillment they would otherwise look for
through an affair with a young secretary."

3. Voddie Baucham is a proponent of the "stay-at-home daughter" movement.

The
<https://homeschoolersanonymous.wordpress.com/2014/06/03/life-in-the-dollhou
se-stay-at-home-daughters-by-lea/> "stay-at-home-daughter" (SAHD) movement,
promoted by the disgraced Vision Forum president Doug Phillips as well as
the cult-like Botkin family
<http://botkinsyndrome.blogspot.com/p/what-is-botkin-syndrome.html> , is
best encapsulated in the documentary movie Return of the Daughters. Here is
a trailer of that movie, in which you can see Voddie Baucham featured:

The Wartburg Watch explains the SAHD movement in the following way
<http://thewartburgwatch.com/2010/11/23/sisterhood-of-the-stay-at-home-daugh
ters/> :

"Young girls and single women are encouraged (perhaps coerced?) to be
"keepers at home" until they marry. They are forbidden to attend college or
seek employment outside the home (that is, their parents' home). These
maidens spend all of their time honing their "advanced homemaking skills",
which include cooking, sewing, cleaning, knitting, etc. A stay-at-home
daughter is under her father's "covering" until he transfers control to her
husband."

True to form, Baucham has not allowed his daughter
<http://bitchmagazine.org/article/house-proud>  Jasmine to leave their home.
She has to "live under the discipleship of my parents until marriage." While
she has completed higher education, it was only through an online,
conservative Christian homeschool college program.

4. Voddie Baucham wants you to hold an "all-day session" of spanking your
toddlers to "wear them out."

>From Baucham's November 4, 2007 speech on corporal punishment
<https://homeschoolersanonymous.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/crosspost-voddie-ba
ucham-shy-kids-and-spanking-5-times-before-breakfast/> :

Spank your kids, okay? (laughter from audience)

And, they desperately need to be spanked and they need to be spanked often,
they do. I meet people all the time ya' know and they say, oh yeah, "There
have only been maybe 4 or 5 times I've ever had to spank Junior." "Really?"
'That's unfortunate, because unless you raised Jesus II, there were days
when Junior needed to be spanked 5 times before breakfast." If you only
spanked your child 5 times, then that means almost every time they disobeyed
you, you let it go.

Why do your toddlers throw fits? Because you've taught them that's the way
that they can control you. When instead you just need to have an all-day
session where you just wear them out and they finally decide "you know what,
things get worse when I do that."

5. Voddie Baucham wants you to punish your children for being shy.

Also from Baucham's November 4, 2007 speech on corporal punishment
<https://homeschoolersanonymous.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/crosspost-voddie-ba
ucham-shy-kids-and-spanking-5-times-before-breakfast/> , on what Baucham
calls "the selfish sin of shyness":

The so-called shy kid, who doesn't shake hands at church, okay? Usually what
happens is you come up, ya' know and here I am, I'm the guest and I walk up
and I'm saying hi to somebody and they say to their kid "Hey, ya' know, say
Good-morning to Dr. Baucham," and the kid hides and runs behind the leg and
here's what's supposed to happen. This is what we have agreed upon, silently
in our culture. What's supposed to happen is that, I'm supposed to look at
their child and say, "Hey, that's okay." But I can't do that. Because if I
do that, then what has happened is that number one, the child has sinned by
not doing what they were told to do, it's in direct disobedience. Secondly,
the parent is in sin for not correcting it, and thirdly, I am in sin because
I have just told a child it's okay to disobey and dishonor their parent in
direct violation of scripture. I can't do that, I won't do that.

I'm gonna stand there until you make 'em do what you said.

6. Voddie Baucham wants you to punish infants if they're not immediately
obedient.

Baucham is an advocate of "first-time obedience,"  a staple of Christian
discipline books advocating the physical abuse of children, such as Gary and
Anne Marie Ezzos
<https://homeschoolersanonymous.wordpress.com/2013/08/12/growing-kids-the-ab
usive-way-auriels-story-part-one/> ' Growing Kids God's Way and Michael and
Debi Pearl
<https://homeschoolersanonymous.wordpress.com/2013/09/19/my-regret-quick-sil
ver-queens-story/> 's To Train Up A Child. First-time obedience has been
criticized by many Christian parents because it
<https://web.archive.org/web/20110304085649/http:/www.itakejoy.com/first-tim
e-obedience-really/> "neglects the child's basic well being", cripples
<http://undermuchgrace.blogspot.com/2009/02/first-time-obedience-and.html>
"the development of critical thinking", and is based on
<http://undermuchgrace.blogspot.com/2009/02/first-time-obedience-and-unquest
ioned_12.html> "works-based salvation" and a "gross lack of grace."
According to Cindy Kunsman at Under Much Grace
<http://undermuchgrace.blogspot.com/2011/03/revisiting-first-time-obedience-
finding.html> , Baucham "defines any 'delayed obedience' in black and white
terms as intolerable, an unqualified disobedience to parent and God,
something he requires of a two year old."