[Vision2020] Defend Planned Parenthood

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Sat Feb 18 01:20:52 PST 2017

August 22, 2015 (Pullman, Washington) . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxDARMQMMXk&sns=em

Courtesy of today's (February 18, 2017) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

--------------------------------

Defend Planned Parenthood

On Feb. 11, opposition groups across the country held rallies under the theme "defund Planned Parenthood." This type of protest is misguided and harmful to women. Whatever one's position on the abortion debate, defunding Planned Parenthood would inevitably result in more unplanned pregnancies and therefore more abortions, not fewer. In fact, to reduce the number of abortions, one should be lobbying to increase funding for Planned Parenthood. About 97 percent of the funds go toward pregnancy prevention, prenatal care, sexually transmitted disease treatment and screening, cervical cancer screening, breast exams and research.

As clergy from this area, we speak out against this campaign that would threaten this vital link to women's health and would especially harm communities of color, people in rural areas, those with low incomes and the most vulnerable in our society. We encourage other people of faith to support this vital women's health organization that provides affordable, nonjudgmental and high-quality care and to defend Planned Parenthood through advocacy, donations and volunteer opportunities. Further, we condemn incendiary rhetoric by public officials and others that contributes to an environment which produces violent and lawless acts of intimidation.

Our faith encourages us to act out of love and to say with conviction, "I will defend Planned Parenthood."

In the order listed, we are from the Community Congregational United Church of Christ, Unitarian Universalist Church of the Palouse, First Presbyterian Church, United Church of Moscow and St. Mark's Episcopal.

The Rev. Stephen Van Kuiken, Pullman

The Rev. Elizabeth Stevens, Moscow

The Rev. Norman Fowler, Moscow

The Rev. Jodie Tooley, Moscow