[Vision2020] When the Lunatics Run the Asylum

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 22:02:16 PST 2017

 Rose Huskey quoted:

"A 2013 study published in *Environmental Research Letters* by Australian
researchers John Cook, Dana Nuccitelli and their colleagues examined 11,944
climate paper abstracts published from 1991 to 2011. Of those papers that
stated a position on AGW, about 97 percent concluded that climate change is
real and caused by humans."
-----------------
The actual paper referenced above is here: *Quantifying the consensus on
anthropogenic global warming in the scientific literature  *15 May 2013
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/8/2/024024

Interesting to note that the 97 percent agreement "that climate change is
real and caused by humans" indicated in the research above is nearly
exactly the same percentage noted in the following research done by
different researchers published in 2009 the Proceedings of the National
Academy of Sciences.  The research referenced below is quite specific that
there is 97-98 percent agreement with the conclusions of the IPCC, a
strongly worded assessment of the causes of global warming being human
sourced.  A scientist can agree that climate change is real and caused by
humans, but qualify their assessment by including a major natural variable
contribution.  If there is a major natural contribution, some will argue
humanity has less reason to address the human causes of global warming.

The following researchers indicate the dissenting views are from less
qualified scientists (my wording).

A couple of quotes from the article are pasted in below:

http://www.pnas.org/content/107/27/12107.full

*Expert credibility in climate change  *April 9, 2010 (sent for review
December 22, 2009)

"Here, we use an extensive dataset of 1,372 climate researchers and their
publication and citation data to show that (*i*) 97–98% of the climate
researchers most actively publishing in the field surveyed here support the
tenets of ACC outlined by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change,
and (*ii*) the relative climate expertise and scientific prominence of the
researchers unconvinced of ACC are substantially below that of the
convinced researchers."

"Preliminary reviews of scientific literature and surveys of climate
scientists indicate striking agreement with the primary conclusions of the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC): anthropogenic greenhouse
gases have been responsible for “most” of the “unequivocal” warming of the
Earth's average global temperature over the second half of the 20th century
(1 <http://www.pnas.org/content/107/27/12107.full#ref-1>–3
<http://www.pnas.org/content/107/27/12107.full#ref-3>). "
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett