[Vision2020] Bluntly Put, This is BS! Re: Weather expert predicts hot, dry summer due to El Niño

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 18:34:28 PST 2017

Tom Hansen <thansen at moscow.com> quoted:

Courtesy of today's (February 8, 2017) Spokesman-Review.

"An El Nino warming in the tropics is emerging along the coast of Peru and
is expected to cause drier and warmer weather starting in March, Douglas
said."
Oh really?

I just checked ENSO diagostic from NOAA's Climate Prediction Center, dated
2-6-17, and they do not currently predict what the quote above indicates
regarding El Nino.

Someone correct me if I am wrong!

Only a 35% percent chance of El Nino developing is predicted, and not until
August through October, as you can read below.

I suppose it is possible that in a mere two days some dramatic shift
happened in the eastern Pacific ocean, but I doubt it.

Why not go to the most credible source on ENSO (El Nino Southern
Oscilation) for current status and predictions of US Northwest weather?

At the website below the following prediction is given, pasted in below,
which can be read by scanning way down the pdf:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/
lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

ENSO: Recent Evolution,
Current Status and Predictions
Update prepared by:
Climate Prediction Center / NCEP

"ENSO -neutral is favored through mid-2017, with smaller chances of El Nino
(35%) and La Nina (15%)
by August- September-October (ASO) 2017."
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett