[Vision2020] Our offer was ignored

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Thu Aug 31 01:02:49 PDT 2017

Courtesy of today's (August 31, 2017) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

Letter: Our offer was ignored

I thank the Daily News for the recent article discussing the Moscow City 2018 budget appropriation of $580,000 to build a motor bridge on Third Street over Paradise Creek. I would, however, like to clarify a statement in the article that quoted the city as saying that the popular option of a pedestrian/bicycle/handicap access bridge stalled because citizens failed to raise the money to pay for it.

Actually, I and others went to City Council on Aug. 15, 2016, and again on Sept. 19, 2016, and again on Oct. 3, 2016, asking to work with city staff to get a plan and budget for a pedestrian bridge so that we could proceed with additional fundraising. We were told by the mayor that city staff was too busy to talk to us until June. And by then it turned out the council had converted the line item for the pedestrian bridge into one for a motor bridge.

They knew there was already $15,085 in the pedestrian bridge account with over $7,000 donated by public spirited citizens, and we explained to Mayor Bill Lambert and the City Council that other pledges had been made pending definite plans and a budget.

Our offer was ignored and now it seems they are trying to put the blame on us for the failure to fundraise. We still stand ready to work together for a safe, livable and less-divisive solution for Moscow's popular, treasured core residential, park and school area. It is not just a neighborhood issue. Over 500 people from all parts of Moscow - including people living east of Mountain View Road - have signed petitions asking for a pedestrian bridge. It is not too late to discuss transportation plans with Moscow citizens and for elected officials to be more responsive to citizen concerns.

Becker J. Gutsch, Moscow

http://www.MoscowCares.com