[Vision2020] UI Campus Cats

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Sat Sep 17 11:17:48 PDT 2016

Visionaries:

I'm sharing - with gratitude -- a letter to the editor from Elizabeth Sloan
that appeared in yesterday's (2016-09-16) Arg.

 <https://www.uiargonaut.com/2016/09/16/mailbox-catastrophe/>
https://www.uiargonaut.com/2016/09/16/mailbox-catastrophe/

Cats are being killed on Moscow's University of Idaho campus. According to
an article in the Idaho Statesman: "Two state agencies say the University of
Idaho failed to seek approval for a program that trapped and euthanized
feral cats on campus."

In a UI Argonaut article, Veterinarian Autenried said that the cats are
trapped because they are wild, sick, "completely feral," and unmanageable.
"The captured cats were a mixture of kittens and adults."

Feral: ferocious, vicious, savage.  Savage kittens, then.

Autenried claims he "gives each cat a check-up." After which they are
gassed, lethally injected and incinerated.

"I am a veterinarian, and I can tell a pet cat from a feral cat without a
long evaluation."

That does not mean merely visual. That does not mean, "I spy with my little
eye a cat in a trap who needs to die."

I see a grand irony worth mentioning. Cats are being killed on a college
campus that has adopted the book "Soul of an Octopus" as their common read
this academic year. The author, Sy Montgomery, will be on our cat-killing
campus on Oct. 3. Montgomery talks about learning humility, compassion and
empathy from getting to know and understand these marvelous creatures named
octopus.  Accepting the challenges and differences between species is
something that can only benefit and enrich the lives of our university
students. Killing animals with no accountability is not the lesson I want my
students to learn.

I have a Richard Feynman quote posted for my students on our BbLearn site:

"I'd rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be
questioned."

There are legitimate questions to be asked, from both sides of this issue.
But trapping and killing cats on a college campus as an answer is indeed
something that needs to be questioned.

- Elizabeth Sloan

I have been dismayed by some of the ignorant and biased comments I've heard
about the UI's atrocious recent handling of campus cats.  One can be against
free-roaming cats - as am I - without hating cats and wanting to kill them
all, a fact that seems to have escaped a vocal few.  You'll find no one more
distressed by bird  tragedies in their environments than am I, whether those
tragedies are from free-roaming cats, raptors, scavengers, dogs, coyotes,
reptiles, or whatever, yet I'm not out advocating for the ability to kill
everything that offends me.  And to advocate killing free-roaming cats to
"save the birds" (BTW, I've spent a lot of time & money over the years
making my yard bird friendly) while remaining mum and doing nothing
productive about habitat destruction, window collisions (responsible for
killing about a billion birds in the US each year), pesticides, and all the
other causes/contributors to bird fatalities is silly and short-sighted.

I also heard there was an article in the Daily News earlier this week about
the UI's failure to comply with Idaho Public Records Law with respect to
providing access to the records pertaining to the trapping, gassing, and
subsequent euthanasia of the campus cats.  Unfortunately, we were down to
one car this past week and I was unable to pick up the paper to read the
details.  However, while I'm disappointed in the UI's failure to comply, I'm
glad to know I'm in good company because I received no response whatsoever
to my email to the UI, which I'm also including below.  As some may
remember, Rose Huskey and I have run into the UI's obstruction with respect
to accessing public records more than a few times in recent years, which has
been a marked change over earlier times when we found the UI nothing but
cooperative when we wanted to examine public records in accordance with
Idaho Public Records Law.

It goes without saying I continue to remain disappointed by the lack of
transparency at the UI, and I'm thoroughly disgusted that it continues to
hold itself above the law by failing to comply with public records law.

For those interested, please scroll below my sig to read my email to the UI
which has been ignored.  Please keep in mind that I sent my email prior to
the subsequent revelations that the UI did not, in fact, secure the
appropriate permission as required by law to trap cats.  By all reports thus
far, Dr. Autenried seems to have been mistaken - at best -- in his earlier
claims to the contrary.  Yet another black eye for the UI.

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather,
"Can they suffer?"

~ Jeremy Bentham