[Vision2020] Boeing job cuts this year could reach 10 percent

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Wed Mar 30 04:53:04 PDT 2016

A March 29, 2016, Seattle Times headline reads:

Boeing job cuts this year could reach 10 percent

http://tinyurl.com/jzaf9pd

Boeing Commercial Airplanes has taken steps expected to eliminate 4,000
jobs by June — and that may be only halfway towards the total cuts this
year.

  By Dominic Gates
Seattle Times aerospace reporter

Since Boeing Commercial Airplanes CEO Ray Conner announced a drive to
cut the workforce six weeks ago, his team has taken steps expected to
eliminate 4,000 jobs by June — and that may be only halfway towards the
total cuts this year.

An internal Boeing document obtained by the Seattle Times reveals that
at least one company unit is targeting a 10 percent workforce reduction
overall.

And people with knowledge of what’s planned say that’s roughly the
percentage of jobs expected to be cut statewide. That would translate to
as many as 8,000 jobs being eliminated.

Asked about the plans, Boeing said Tuesday the initial jobs eliminated
include “hundreds of executives and managers” and that the 4,000 figure
will be achieved through normal attrition and a voluntary buyout package
for about 1,600 employees.

The workforce reduction is part of a major cost-saving push that also
involves squeezing supplier costs, increasing productivity, shrinking
inventory and cutting travel, overtime, services and contractor expenses
— an effort that Boeing said “involves taking out billions of dollars in
cost by the end of 2016.”

If enough savings cannot be found elsewhere and more job cuts are
required, layoffs would come later in the year, Boeing said.

Boeing Commercial Airplanes (BCA) vice president of communications Sean
McCormack said Tuesday that “our targets are dollar-based.”

“The more we reduce non-labor costs, the less impact there will be to
jobs,” he said.

<[More on the story at the link]> http://tinyurl.com/jzaf9pd

Ken

P.S.:  I do not suppose this is news 2016 graduates looking toward
Seattle would prefer to read.  -- KM