[Vision2020] Fw: Why doesn’t fish oil prevent heart attacks anymore?

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Sat Jun 18 18:07:22 PDT 2016

-----Original Message-----
Subject:  Why doesn’t fish oil prevent heart attacks anymore?
From: "Nutrition Action" <nutritionaction at nutritionaction.com>
To: LFALEN at TURBONET.COM
Date: 06/17/16 13:33:02

NutritionAction.com » Daily

 Having trouble viewing this email? Click here to see it on the web with links, graphics and references.

FOLLOW US

 Friday, June 17, 2016
Nutrition Action Daily Tip

Maybe it depends on the drugs you're taking.Author: David Schardt  in: Heart and Disease
"Fish Oil Claims Not Supported by Research," read the headline in the New York Times. "Flimsy evidence that fish oil helps the heart," the Sarasota Herald-Tribune wrote.
Are you taking fish oil pills because you thought this would prevent fatal heart attacks? What gives?

 "People who eat a diet that's high in fish have a lower risk of heart attacks and strokes in many observational studies," says JoAnn Manson, chief of preventive medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospi­tal in Boston.
But those studies, which observe a lower risk in fish eaters, can't prove cause and effect. "Fish may replace foods-like red meat-that increase risk," notes Manson. "Or fish eaters may have other behaviors that lower their risk."
To prove cause and effect, researchers need a trial that randomly assigns people to take either a placebo or fish oil pills. Pills are used since it's tough to find a placebo for salmon or tuna, and there's evidence that it's the ome­ga-3 fats in fish oil that protect the heart.
These kinds of randomized, controlled trials of fish oil conducted 10 to 15 years ago in Italy and Japan did seem to show that fish oil protects the heart.
It worked here.
For example, an Italian trial called the GISSI Prevention study tested fish oil on roughly 11,000 men and women who had already suffered a heart attack. They were randomly assigned to take the omega-3s EPA and DHA (850 milligrams total) or vitamin E (300 mg) or both every day or no pills at all. (There was no placebo, and the participants knew which pills they were taking, but researchers still consider the results important.)
Keep reading to learn more>>

 Order a subscription to Nutrition Action Healthletter: A one-year subscription term is 10 issues, monthly except combined issues in January/February and July/August. And choose your delivery method - print version only; digital version only (delivered immediately upon order processing); or print plus the digital editions.

Nutrition Action names names. Our nutritionists and scientists tell you exactly what's wrong-and what's right-with hundreds of brand-name packaged foods, fresh foods, and restaurant fare. Nutrition Action is honest, unbiased, and science-based. It's completely independent and has no advertising. So we're free to blow the whistle on products that aren't what they pretend to be-and to applaud the good ones. Order Now!  Subscriptions to Nutrition Action Healthletter are not available in Canada at this time.

More Nutrition Action Healthy Tips you can read:

5 Reasons to Start Reducing Salt Intake Today
 Reducing salt intake is one of the best ways to reduce your risk of future hypertension.Hypertension boosts your risk of dying of a heart attack or stroke more than smoking, high cholesterol, obesity, or any other risk factor does. And excess salt is a major cause of high blood pressure.
What's more, salt may damage the heart, kidneys, and other organs above and beyond its effect on blood pressure. "Salt is costing us too many lives and too many dollars," says physician Stephen Havas.
Here are five reasons why reducing salt intake is important for you-and, more importantly, the food industry:
Read More>>

 Take advantage of this helpful booklet

Sweet Nothings: Safe ... Or Scary? The Inside Scoop on Sugar SubstitutesIs aspartame the safest artificial sweetener? Or is it sucralose? Are sugar substitutes made from monk fruit safer because they are "natural"? Or are they all dangerous?
NutritionAction.com's Sweet Nothings: Safe … Or Scary? The Inside Scoop on Sugar Substitutes will tell you what's safe, unsafe, or inadequately tested.
We'd all like to satisfy our sweet tooth while avoiding sugar's known negative impacts on our waistlines, blood sugar levels, hearts, and teeth, just to name a few. Hence the United States' increased use of artificial and "natural" non-caloric sugar substitutes over the last decade, from over 6 million pounds in 2002 to over 8 million pounds in 2012. Worldwide, the market for artificial and other high-intensity sweeteners is expected to reach nearly $1.9 billion in 2017. For low-calorie sugar substitutes called sugar alcohols, the worldwide market already surpassed that, reaching $2 billion in 2012. FIND OUT MORE

Should You Avoid Frozen Fish If You Want Good-Quality, Nutritious Seafood?
Times have changed, says seafood expert.
 You don't need to avoid frozen fish if you want good quality and nutritional value, says Barton Seaver, the director of the Healthy and Sustainable Food Program at the Center for Health and the Global Environment at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health in Boston.
"The technology of freezing fish has evolved to the point where it's comparable to, if not better than, fresh fish," Seaver explains.
More than 85 percent of the seafood we eat in the United States is imported and the vast majority is frozen at some point, according to the National Fisheries Institute. Freezing preserves the nutritional value of the seafood.
"Historically, seafood was frozen as a last-ditch effort to keep it from spoiling. If fish wasn't sold by Friday, it was frozen so it could be sold when demand was up. So it was a crappy piece of fish to begin with. But these days, fish is pulled from the water, filleted, and frozen within hours. That sounds pretty good to me."
Stores that sell previously frozen fish, however, may be shortchanging the consumer of...
Read More »

 Health Information Just for Women

 For Women OnlyThe signs of a heart attack or a stroke are different in women than in men. Women have a higher risk of osteoporosis and, of course, breast cancer. And they're more likely to suffer from constipation and muscle loss. Here's what women need to know to stay strong and healthy. Read More...
Order your copy today!

Click for a free health-conscious download: How to Diet: Best Menu Planning Guide for a Heart-Healthy Diet

 FOLLOW US
UNSUBSCRIBE     FORWARD TO A FRIEND
Help us be sure that this email newsletter gets to your inbox. Adding our return address customercare at NutritionAction.com to your address book may ‘whitelist’ us with your filter, helping future email newsletters get to your inbox.
Need to contact us? Contact us by email: customercare at NutritionAction.com or phone: 202-777-8393
NutritionAction.com
1220 L Street, N.W., Suite 300
Washington, D.C. 20005
We value your privacy and will not rent your email address to anyone. View our privacy policy.
Copyright © 2015 NutritionAction.com. All rights reserved.