[Vision2020] Fw:] Listeria continues to plague food manufacturers this year

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Fri Jul 15 17:53:03 PDT 2016

-----Original Message-----
Subject:  Listeria continues to plague food manufacturers this year
From: "Nutrition Action" <nutritionaction at nutritionaction.com>
To: LFALEN at TURBONET.COM
Date: 07/15/16 13:33:32

NutritionAction.com » Daily

 Having trouble viewing this email? Click here to see it on the web with links, graphics and references.

FOLLOW US

 Friday, July 15, 2016
Nutrition Action Daily Tip

John McKissick knows firsthand it can mean a life sentence of disability.

Author: David Schardt in: Food Safety
This spring, CRF Frozen Foods of Washington State recalled more than 350 of its frozen vegetable products sold under 42 different brand names after eight people became infected with the foodborne illness Listeria from eating the vegetables.
This June, the Food and Drug Administration informed Whole Foods that Listeria bacteria were probably present on food contact surfaces in a company food processing plant in Massachusetts that prepared ready-to-eat food. The agency warned Whole Foods that "your cleaning and sanitation practices may not be adequate."
This summer, General Mills recalled some of its Nature Valley protein and nut bars because the sunflower kernels in them may have been contaminated with Listeria.
And the list goes on.
Listeria is a bug not to be taken lightly. Or easily removed from food plants.
A major cause of death from foodborne illness...
Keep reading to learn more>>

 Order a subscription to Nutrition Action Healthletter: A one-year subscription term is 10 issues, monthly except combined issues in January/February and July/August. And choose your delivery method - print version only; digital version only (delivered immediately upon order processing); or print plus the digital editions.

Nutrition Action names names. Our nutritionists and scientists tell you exactly what's wrong-and what's right-with hundreds of brand-name packaged foods, fresh foods, and restaurant fare. Nutrition Action is honest, unbiased, and science-based. It's completely independent and has no advertising. So we're free to blow the whistle on products that aren't what they pretend to be-and to applaud the good ones. Order Now!

More Nutrition Action Healthy Tips you can read:

What to Eat: Noodles or Rice?It's not just the food.At some Asian restaurants, you can choose rice or noodles (like lo mein) on the side. Which is best?

 If you're talking about a side dish at a quick-order restaurant like Pei Wei or Manchu Wok, go with rice to save on sodium. At Pei Wei, for example, an order of egg noodles has 1,010 milligrams of sodium. At Manchu Wok, the lo mein noodles have 850 mg and the Shanghai noodles will set you back 1,620 mg.
In contrast, steamed rice has essentially no sodium. And Pei Wei and some other chains offer brown rice, which has more fiber and vitamins than white. Just steer clear of the fried rice (800 to 1,200 mg of sodium). And watch out for...
Read More>>

 Keep Your Kitchen Safe!

>From Supermarket to Leftovers: A Consumer's Guide to Buying, Preparing, Cooking and Storing Food Safely
In which department of the grocery should you start selecting your food items? The produce section or meat counter? Are frozen foods less likely to give you a foodborne illness? What do sell-by, use-by, and expiration dates mean regarding the safety of food? And are there any federal regulations about those dates?
>From Supermarket to Leftovers: A Consumer's Guide to Buying, Preparing, Cooking and Storing Food Safely is the most complete guide to food safety and is available only from NutritionAction.com.
You and your family should be safe when shopping, preparing, and cooking your food. And Nutrition Action wants to help you accomplish that, so here is the ultimate guide for consumers on food safety! ORDER YOUR COPY NOW.

 Don't Take Diabetes Advice From StrangersMaybe you have diabetes. Maybe your blood glucose isn't that high yet, but it's starting to rise.
You've read that losing weight is the best way to get your blood sugar down. And you'd like to shed those 15 or 25 extra pounds. Maybe you'll start next week.
Then the online ad catches your eye. A "breakthrough"… "secrets the medical establishment doesn't want you to see"…diabetes advice from researchers with a "moral duty" to get the word out about their "miracle cure."
That's worth 30 bucks, right?
Keep reading to learn more >>

Click for a free health-conscious download: Food Safety: How to Keep Your Kitchen from Making you Sick.

 FOLLOW US
UNSUBSCRIBE     FORWARD TO A FRIEND
Help us be sure that this email newsletter gets to your inbox. Adding our return address customercare at NutritionAction.com to your address book may ‘whitelist’ us with your filter, helping future email newsletters get to your inbox.
Need to contact us? Contact us by email: customercare at NutritionAction.com or phone: 202-777-8393
NutritionAction.com
1220 L Street, N.W., Suite 300
Washington, D.C. 20005
We value your privacy and will not rent your email address to anyone. View our privacy policy.
Copyright © 2015 NutritionAction.com. All rights reserved.