[Vision2020] City Council Agenda for Monday

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jul 15 09:13:10 PDT 2016

Moscow City Council agenda item #7 . . .

----------------------------------
Sojourner’s Alliance Funding Request - Gary J. Riedner
Sojourner’s Alliance operates two primary programs including Transitional Housing facility for homeless men, women and families. Transitional housing offers long-term housing, supplemental food assistance, on-site case management, counseling services, and referrals to other area agencies in an effort to help clients become self-sufficient and get back on their feet. Recent changes in Federal Funding resources have shifted from transitional housing facility to rapid rehousing type programs. As such, funds for transitional housing programming were not awarded for the current funding cycle beginning June 1, 2016. Funds for the off-site Project Warmth program are intact.

Sojourner’s will no longer receive HUD funding for transitional housing in the amount of $100,000 and has experienced a recurring annual shortfall of $25,000. Sojourner’s Alliance Executive Director Steve Bonnar is working to collect commitments by August 31, 2016 to cover the costs needed to operate under Sojourner’s current programming structure for a period of one year, beginning November 1, 2016. The facility is planned to close from September 1 to October 31, 2016 and upon reopening on November 1, Sojourner’s intends to spend the next funding year planning for a more long-term solution to the $125,000 annual shortfall.

Given the shortfall, Sojourner’s is requesting a one-time commitment of $12,500 from the City of Moscow to assist in meeting the needs of the organization for the coming year to allow sufficient time for future planning.

ACTION: Approve one-time funding allotment of $12,500 to Sojourner's Alliance or take such other direction deemed appropriate.

Here's to hoping our city council approves Sojourners' request because it's the right thing to do.

Stay tuned, Moscow, because . . .

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com