[Vision2020] Eastern Idaho rep wants Idaho Constitution’s ban on public funding to religious schools eased

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Jan 27 11:56:03 PST 2016

Let me see if I have Rep. Nate's proposed amendment to the state constitution correct . . .

In addition to being tax-exempt, private religious schools should be entitled to some public funding????

Courtesy of today's (January 27, 2016) Spokesman-Review.

Eastern Idaho rep wants Idaho Constitution’s ban on public funding to religious schools eased
By Betsy Z. Russell

Eastern Idaho freshman Rep. Ron Nate, R-Rexburg, proposed an amendment to the Idaho Constitution today to ease prohibitions on using state funds for religious schools. Idaho EdNews reporter Clark Corbin reported that Nate, who teaches at BYU-Idaho, said he believes is amendment is needed to allow students to continue to use the state-funded Idaho Opportunity Scholarship to attend religious schools such as Northwest Nazarene University or BYU-Idaho. He also suggested it could ease students’ ability to transfer dual credits earned in high school to a religious school. “This resolution and amendment attempt to fix such troubles before they start,” Nate told the House Education Committee.

When committee members asked if that would open the way for a voucher system, Nate said he’s focused on scholarships, but said, “At least we would have clarity if that came about.”

The Idaho Constitution, in Article IX, Section 5, “Sectarian Appropriations Prohibited,” strictly bans public funds from going to any school, society or activity “controlled by any church, sectarian or religious denomination whatsoever.” Nate’s amendment would add to the end of the section, “And provided further that nothing herein shall be construed to prohibit the legislature or any county, city, town, township, school district or other public corporation from making appropriations, payments, grants or donations of public funds or moneys for the purpose of providing grants, scholarships, loans or other assistance to students or parents of students for educational purposes.”

Nate told the committee, “This amendment says … where the choice is given to parents and students ... even though a nickel of state money ends up in a religious institution, it doesn’t ... violate the Constitution because we’re making it clear with this final clause.”

Rep. Ilana Rubel, D-Boise, said, “I plan to vote in favor of (introducing) this strictly because I believe that bills should get a hearing, but I think this is deeply ill-advised.” The panel agreed to introduce the measure, clearing the way for a full hearing. To amend Idaho’s constitution, it would need two-thirds support of each house of the Legislature, plus a majority vote of the people at the next general election. You can read Corbin’s full report here.

http://www.MoscowCares.com