[Vision2020] Human Rights Commission Social Justice Forum

kfaunce at roadrunner.com kfaunce at roadrunner.com
Mon Sep 14 07:56:04 PDT 2015

“Breaking Barriers Together: Access & Inclusion” tackles getting around Moscow

Until faced with a disability, limitation or even a baby stroller, physical accessibility and social inclusion may be something taken for granted.
Access and inclusion in the life and amenities of Moscow community for all is the topic of a Moscow Human Rights Commission Social Justice forum set for 6 p.m, Tuesday, Sept. 15 at the Gritman Medical center South Lobby, 700 S. Main St. The center is a fully accessible facility. The forum is free and open to all.
"Breaking Barriers Together: Access & Inclusion" is co-sponsored by the City of Moscow Human Rights Commission, Gritman Medical Center, Disability Action Center Northwest and the University of Idaho. The forum will celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities, be they temporary, lifelong or age related, according to the Department of Justice.
The forum will address the physical, social, economic and other issues that people across the life span and in particular people with disabilities face on a daily basis when frequenting Moscow establishments and amenities, indoors and outdoors, said Rula Awwad-Rafferty, a Moscow Human Right's Commission member and University of Idaho professor in the College of Art and Architecture.
"We need to communicate loud and clear that we are all in it together in making our community inclusive, this is for you and me, for our families, and friends" she said.
Prior to the forum, a group of university students, city and county officials, and University of Idaho leaders will navigate the city from City Hall and the UI Bruce M. Pitman Center to Gritman Medical Center South Lobby. The participants will use various mobility devices, such as wheelchairs, crutches and walkers. Along the way, they will complete regular day-to-day tasks; their experiences and reflections, will be documented and shared publically via traditional and social media, said the forum organizers.
Panelists include Justin Minden, director of Therapy Solutions at Gritman Medical Center; Krista Kramer, Independent Living Planning coordinator at DAC; Ron Landeck, attorney and co-founder/ past chair of the Latah Trail Foundation Board of Directors; and Ashley Centers, UI alumna and local self-advocate.

For information about the forum, contact Rula Awwad-Rafferty at (208) 413-8452.