[Vision2020] Single Stream Recycling

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Sat May 9 12:00:56 PDT 2015

Hi Bob,

Before I read what Ron wrote, that was my thinking as well . . . at least until the first time I wind up on my ample behind after slipping on the ice carrying a bin full of glass.  After reading Ron’s post, though, I’m on the fence, particularly about the water used to rinse glass that’s going to the landfill  :(

And, what about the people who can’t/don’t/no longer drive?  Personally, I’d much rather carry on foot or bicycle a large bulky but light bag of plastic to a drop off location than try to lug a heavy bag of breakable glass, but that’s just me.

In thinking about it, I’m also concerned that perhaps those least able to afford it will see increased garbage rates because they’ll need a larger garbage to accommodate the glass they can’t haul themselves.

OTOH, I think it’s absolutely brilliant that apartments apparently will be able to participate in the single stream recycling pickup!  The letter didn’t discuss cost, so I don’t know if apartment participation will cost extra, which will then be passed along to tenants.  Does anyone have more detail about the apartment participation aspect?

Saundra

Moscow, ID

Every individual matters.  Every individual has a role to play.  Every individual makes a difference.

~ Jane Goodall