[Vision2020] Headline very misleading

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Tue May 5 04:18:07 PDT 2015

Courtesy of today's (May 5, 2015) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Joann Muneta.

--------------------------------------
Headline very misleading
The headline of the front page story in the Daily News on Thursday, April 23, was very misleading. It is not "Radical Islam" that is "stoking fear in Idaho," it is a Christian pastor going around the state trying to frighten people and spread mistrust of our Muslim neighbors and unfounded panic about Shariah law. Another story in the same issue wisely points out that Idaho, like other states, has been susceptible to prejudice based on fear and misunderstanding. The article which cites past anti-Mormon and anti-Basque movements could have also included anti-Chinese prejudice and a reminder of Japanese and Japanese-American internment camps in Idaho as examples of the wrong that people can do when they feel threatened by people and groups unlike themselves.
Speaking as chair and on behalf of the Latah County Human Rights Task Force, the good news is that we can and should learn from history.
Idaho is indeed "too great for hate." The answer now, as it was when Richard Butler and the Neo-Nazis were spreading hate and dissension, is for all of us to stand up, speak out and come together to counteract rumors and untruths that might prevent Idaho from being a harmonious and welcoming state. The danger to our democracy is not Shariah law, it is discrimination and prejudice based on fear and stereotypes. Let us say loud and clear to all, including some misguided legislators, "Not in our town!" And "Not in our state!"
Joann Muneta, Moscow

Thank you, Joann, for your reassuring words.

Activities of the Latah County Human Rights Task Force and Moscow Human Rights Commission:

http://www.moscowcares.com/HumanRights

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com