[Vision2020] Fw:EVENTS and NEWS

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Wed Mar 18 18:16:08 PDT 2015

-----Original Message-----
Subject: EVENTS and NEWS
From: "Whitepine chapter INPS" <whitepine.chapter at gmail.com>
To: "White Pine Chapter" <whitepine.chapter at gmail.com>
Date: 03/17/15 06:34:10

Upcoming EVENTS   (NOTE:  a few details on website may be inaccurate, but will be corrected shortly)

- Please post the flyer (attached at end of email) for Dr. Tank's talk, where you work and recreate -

Tuesday, March 24, 2015, 7:00pm:  INPS White Pine Chapter meeting
Presenter:  Dr. David Tank, Associate Professor, Dept of Biological Sciences, University of Idaho, and Director, Stillinger Herbarium
 Topic:  Natural History Collections in the 21st Century: an update on Stillinger Herbarium activites and how you can get involved
Location:  1912 Center, Great Room, 412 E. 3rd St., Moscow, Idaho (between Adams and Van Buren)

Dr. Tank's research focuses on the investigation of the patterns and processes that shape plant biodiversity.  In this talk, he will give an update on current projects in the Stillinger Herbarium, with a focus on the Consortium of Pacific Northwest Herbaria and ongoing digitization efforts, the use of natural history collections in research, and opportunities for you to get involved in herbarium activities.

Read about the depth of the "Tank Lab" research and enjoy the interactive links at
http://phylodiversity.net/dtank/Tank_Lab/Tank_Lab.html
…………………………………………………..

Saturday, May 9, 2015, 8:30am-12:30pm:  The NE Chapter of the Washington Native Plant Society is hosting a Wildflower Identification Workshop at the Turnbull Laboratory for Ecological Studies.  Learn the basics of how flowers are put together followed by a leisurely stroll through the meadows, pine forests and wetlands of Turnbull Wildlife Refuge. Open to all folks interested in learning more about native wildflowers.  Fee:  $25.  Registration information is in the attached flyer.
…………………………………………………

Saturday, May 16, 2015, 9:00am - 12:00pm:  4th Annual INPS White Pine Chapter Native Plant Sale
Coordinator:  Pamela Pavek
Location:   1912 Center, Arts Room, 412 E. 3rd St., Moscow, Idaho (between Adams and Van Buren)

This is an important fundraising event for our Chapter, enabling us to provide grants for native plant projects. In addition, the sale increases the number of native plants in our landscapes, which benefits our local ecosystems.

You can help with this successful event in one or more of the following ways:
1.       Digging up seedlings or vegetatively propagating native plants on your property and placing them in pots. Pots should be free of grass and weeds, and labeled with common name or scientific name. Donated plants from volunteers are very important for the success of the sale. Contact Pamela plspavek at gmail.com when you have an idea of the species and numbers of plants you are able to donate-or for assistance with species identification or propagation technique.
2.       Volunteering to help with the sale. Volunteers are needed for making plant labels, distributing posters, running the sale, and clean up. Please tell Pamela plspavek at gmail.com if you would like to be added to the volunteer contact list and the tasks you are interested in.
3.       Shopping at the sale! You get beautiful plants for your yard, and the proceeds support vital projects. It is a win-win.
Need further inspiration?  Read this, supplied by Thad Davis:  http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/11/opinion/in-your-garden-choose-plants-that-help-the-environment.html?_r=0
……………………………………………

July 10-13:  TWO SIDES OF THE TETONS - 2015 Annual Meeting of the Idaho and Wyoming Native Plant Societies.   Driggs, Idaho.  A chance to mingle, socialize, botanize and explore one of the world's most beautiful alpine areas while doing so.  There will be five field trips each day, plus an optional all-day auto tour on Monday.  The trips will range from valley riparian areas to high alpine ridges, from easy walks to arduous all-day hikes.  Group sizes will be kept as small as possible to maximize the interface with our botany experts.  Full description is at http://idahonativeplants.org/statewide-annual-meeting/.  Plan to attend, and register SOON!

NEWS
Never doubt that your participation is a key part of INPS White Pine!  We invite you to join INPS and support the enjoyment, education, and conservation aspects of our organization.  Read more about INPS at http://idahonativeplants.org/.  To join, click on the "Join INPS" tab at top of the page.  Online is simplest for you and the state and chapter treasurers.  Easy, fast, and rewarding!

In addition to providing the many hands and skills needed for White Pine's Annual Plant Sale May 16th, you are welcome to meet with these active new working groups:
·       Conservation
·       Grants

Would you like to keep board members mindful of their discussions and decisions?  We need a Secretary to help White Pine stay aware and organized!  Please offer your assistance in this important position.

⟹  Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/IdahoNativePlantSocietyWhitePineChapter

Sent by Sonja Lewis