[Vision2020] Fwd: Helping young loggers get into to the woods

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Mar 13 08:54:19 PDT 2015

So, now we have Rep. Labrador slowly, but surely, disqualifying child labor laws by allowing logging companies to employ 16- and 17-year olds into the logging industry.

A couple corrections concerning his newsletter . . .

- The Future Logging Careers Act is neither HR 1215 nor S 694. It is . . .

Senate Bill 2335, The Future Logging Careers Act
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-113s2335is/pdf/BILLS-113s2335is.pdf

- Senate Bill 2335 is quoted here:

‘‘(8) The provisions of section 12 relating to child labor shall apply to an employee who is 16 or 17 years old employed in a logging or mechanized operation in an occupation that the Secretary of Labor finds and declares to be particularly hazardous for the employment of children ages 16 or 17, except where such employee is employed by his parent or by a person standing in the place of his parent in a logging or mechanized operation owned or operated by such parent or person.’’.

Question:  Would a logging company employer be considered to be "a person standing in the place of his parent" . . . much like a summer camp supervisor?

http://www.MoscowCares.com

Begin forwarded message: