[Vision2020] Fw:March 12 program - Native plants, to attract native pollinators

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Mon Mar 2 17:15:03 PST 2015

-----Original Message-----
Subject: March 12 program - Native plants, to attract native pollinators

Thursday, March 12, 2015, 7:00 pm:  Palouse Prairie Foundation - INPS White Pine Chapter Joint meeting
Presenter:  Pamela Pavek, USDA-NRCS Plant Materials Center
Topic:  Attracting Native Invertebrate Pollinators with Palouse Prairie Plants
Location:  Gladdish Community Center, (Gold Room) 115 NW State St, Pullman WA

Pollinators world-wide are in trouble. Loss of habitat, poor diet, diseases, and use of pesticides have caused declines in pollinator numbers. These declines are alarming in both agricultural and natural settings, where pollinators play an important role in plant reproduction. We have the ability to improve pollinator habitat by planting diverse plant species, providing water and nesting sites, and reducing pesticide use in our yards and farms. Palouse Prairie plants are excellent species for pollinator habitat because they co-evolved with insect species in our region. They also are adapted to our climate, and therefore need minimal water and attention. Pamela Pavek has spent several years researching plants for pollinator habitat. She will discuss ideal native plant species, types of pollinator habitat, and establishment methods in her talk.

The Gladdish Community Center has a large parking lot in the back of the building. Walk over the bridge, and there will be signs to show the way downstairs to the Gold Room. There is also an elevator.

To print and post a flyer for this event click on Pamela Pavek Pollinator Flyer (1-page color 8.5x11" PDF)

Thank you,
Sonja Lewis, White Pine Chapter, Idaho Native Plant Society