[Vision2020] David, Belinda, and Terri, all . . .

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Tue Jan 13 08:17:44 PST 2015

. . . gone too soon . . .
http://www.TomandRodna.com/Songs/Gone_Too_Soon.mp3

Courtesy of today's (January 13, 2015) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

David Trail a man who could get things done
By Terri Harber, Daily News staff writer
Long timers are remembering Moscow businessman David Trail, 76, one of three people shot to death Saturday.
Attorney and former Moscow Mayor Paul Agidius has known the Trail family for decades.
“Dave was always on the list of people to talk to among community members,” Agidius said. “He wasn’t the person up front, seeking attention. He just wanted to get things done.”
Both Dave and his brother, Tom, were interested in politics. Dave was more conservative than Tom, who served as a state representative, but was highly engaged in various matters over the years, Agidius said.
“He was a mainstay in our community,” Agidius said. “All those who knew him were happy to call him a friend.”
Gary Crabtree has known Trail for decades as well. His locksmith shop is across the street from Trail’s insurance office and apartment building on East Third Street.
One of Trail’s hobbies was collecting cars. Red appeared to be his favorite color of automobile, including some of those he would occasionally drive to work, such as a vintage Ford truck and a Thunderbird, Crabtree said.
“A really pleasant fella, an easy-going guy,” Crabtree said. “But not a ‘got to get attention’ sort of guy.”
Trail was heavily involved in 4-H. He also got Crabtree to work with some of the students. Crabtree admired the amount of time and effort Trail and his wife, Suzie, put into 4-H.
“But it was a lot of work,” Crabtree said of his own experience.
Along with supporting 4-H, Trail also was involved with local education. The family offered to donate land for a new high school to be built in Moscow.
He graduated from the University of Idaho with a degree in business and agronomy. He was a strong supporter of the University of Idaho, according to university President Chuck Staben.
“The community lost a very, very good person. He did a lot of great things,” said Howard Peavy, who knew Trail from Rotary Club. He remembered Trail’s efforts in getting the Palouse Ice Rink constructed.
Peavy also mentioned how much Trail enjoyed music. He played the keyboards and had a band, Dave Trail Quartet, while attending the UI.
He continued performing and “was very good,” Peavy said.
As well as operating a rental business, Trail was the senior financial representative for Northwestern Mutual Financial Network in Moscow. Even at age 76, he still had hundreds of clients.
Northwestern Mutual honored Trail this past summer for 50 years of service during a national gathering. They talked about him in front of 10,000 fellow employees and it was a moment he found humbling, he told a reporter after the event.
Trail and his wife, Suzie, have four grown children: Martin, Michael, Roger and Kathy. They also have eight grandchildren.

--------------------

Belinda Niebuhr remembered as a mother for everyone
By Shanon Quinn, Daily News staff writer
Belinda Neibuhr’s favorite color was purple.
She loved Tom Petty, Nickelback, Creedence Clear-water Revival, and anything outdoors.
Her favorite flower was the iris.
The 47-year-old mother of five — and stepmother of two — died Saturday in the last of three shootings in Moscow that residents say “devastated” the community.
Born in Sacramento, where the majority of her family still lives, Niebuhr had worked at the Moscow Arby’s for several years and was well regarded by her co-workers.
“She was the best boss you could have. She kept me on track, but wasn’t mean. I’ve worked harder for her than I have on any of my other jobs because I don’t want to let her down,” said her longtime friend Carlene Carney.
Carney said she met Niebuhr about seven years ago when they became neighbors.
“She had the biggest heart of anybody I knew,” she said. “Anybody who didn’t have the chance to know her missed out on something special.”
Carney said Niebuhr struggled through life before her move to Moscow, but her past did not weigh her down.
“She had a rocky background and since then she never judged anybody. She knew she wasn’t perfect but in her eyes everyone else was,” Carney said.
Carney said Niebuhr was never afraid to address problems at Arby’s — where she typically worked six days per week — and would volunteer to wait on customers who seemed to be having a bad day.
“She knew customers by name, and more than that, she knew about their lives and their families, not because she had to for customer service, but because she wanted to. She had a way about her — she could turn people’s day around,” she said.
Friend and former co-worker Shelly Shaw said Niebuhr touched everyone she came in contact with.
“I worked for Arby’s for a little over a year,” she said. “She was an amazing woman and an amazing boss. She was there for me when I was pregnant and there for me when I had my baby girl.”
Shaw said Niebuhr had a habit of taking care of others so much so that she sometimes neglected herself.
Carney agreed.
“She had mom problems. She wanted to mother everybody, take care of everybody,” Carney said.
Carney said Niebuhr had plans to spend time in Spokane later in the month for her anniversary with her fiance, Donald Fristoe.
Shaw said Niebuhr and Fristoe had a relationship with a bit of a slow start, but it had blossomed in recent years.
“Don chased her and chased her and she kept saying no, but when they got together they were one for the stars. Big bouquets of flowers would show up at Arby’s with this man behind them and she would run out from behind the counter to meet him,” Shaw said. “They just loved each other so much.”

--------------------

Friends describe Terri Grzebielski as ‘larger than life’
By Shanon Quinn, Daily News staff writer
More than simply enjoying life, Terri Grzebielski was excited about it.
On her profile page for Moscow Family Medicine, where the 61-year-old mother of three practiced as a physician assistant, she wrote her family chose to live in Moscow because it was the perfect place to raise her family.
“My husband, Jerry, and I enjoy all of what the Palouse has to offer, including bicycling, kayaking and hiking,” she wrote.
She was also an original member of the Hot Flashes, a local 50s and 60s singing group. Terri’s friend Marilyn Beckett said she would typically run into her at any event where there was singing and dancing.
Grzebielski was killed Saturday at her home and was the first of three shooting fatalities across Moscow that day. Her son, 29-year-old John Lee, is currently in custody and is facing three murder charges in connection with the shootings.
“Terri was one of the sparkliest, most energetic, caring, beautiful, musical people the Palouse will ever see,” said her longtime friend and fellow lead singer, Donna Parks.
Energy is a word that continually comes up when friends and co-workers remember Grzebielski.
Jeff Greier, CEO of Moscow family Medicine, said he met Terri about seven years ago when she came back from a hiatus and he rehired her at the clinic.
Greier said he and Grzebielski’s co-workers at Moscow Family Medicine gathered Sunday night to simply spend time together and remember Terri.
“About 80 percent of the staff were able to make it,” Greier said. “We were just together. We all told stories about Terri. It seems like a cliché, but she was larger than life.”
Greier said an overwhelming theme throughout the stories told involved Grzebielski’s cheerful, excited zest for life.
“No one can remember her being sad or angry. All day long in the clinic taking care of her patients or out in the community with Jerry, she was truly excited to be alive,” he said.
In a 2001 Daily News story, Grzebielski described The Hot Flashes — her musical group with Parks, Lois Melina and Lori Gardes — as “The girl next door with a little attitude.”
“We’re just a product of a generation who grew up watching the ‘Ed Sullivan Show’ and wishing we were back-up girls for Aretha Franklin. Fun is what it’s all about: entertaining people and helping them laugh,” she said.
Grzebielski is survived by her husband, Jerry, daughters Kasi and Shinai and son John Lee.

Take care, Moscow, because . . .

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com

"You and I will meet again
When we're least expecting it
One day in some far off place
I will recognize your face
I won't say goodbye my friend
For you and I will meet again."

- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (American rock group)