[Vision2020] PR - Volunteer Firefighters from Moscow Rural Fire District and Moscow Volunteer Fire Department Assist with Clearwater Complex Fire near Kamiah

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Wed Aug 19 16:42:42 PDT 2015

[City of Moscow Color Logo 0409]City of Moscow
Administration
206 E Third Street
Moscow, ID 83843
Contact: Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor
p    |  208.883.7006
e    |   griedner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:griedner at ci.moscow.id.us>
w   |  www.ci.moscow.id.us<http://www.ci.moscow.id.us>

PRESS RELEASE

Volunteer Firefighters from Moscow Rural Fire District and Moscow Volunteer Fire Department Assist with Clearwater Complex Fire near Kamiah

August 19, 2015 - Volunteers from the Moscow Rural Fire District and the Moscow Volunteer Fire Department were deployed to the Lawyer Complex fire on August 14, 2015. The name of the incident was later changed to the Clearwater Complex.

Initial crews assisted local in initial attack and structure protection in and around the City of Kamiah. This went on for approximately 30 hours.

After the first operational period in Kamiah, crews were staged at the Kamiah Fire Station to respond to calls as they came in. On Saturday August 15, 2015 it is estimated volunteers responded to more than 20 different calls for service in the area. Initial crews were rotated out at noon on Sunday, August 16, 2015

On Sunday, August 16 the Moscow Volunteers responded to an estimated 15 calls for service. The last call for service was structure protection in the town of Greer to assist the U.S. Forest Service with back burning around homes.

On Monday, August 17, the Volunteers responded to an estimated 12 calls for service.

At 8:00 am on Tuesday, August 18, 2015, Volunteer crews were again rotated.

The crews will continue to rotate out on a 48 hour basis as needed by the Kamiah Fire District. The Volunteers are dedicated to the incident and have responded with professionalism and the utmost dedication. The community of Kamiah and the Kamiah Fire District have been very appreciative of the help from Moscow area Volunteers.

Brian Nickerson, Chief of the Moscow Fire Department and the Moscow Rural Fire District, had this to say:

"The dedication and professionalism of our Volunteers has been evident throughout our response to this incident. The Clearwater Complex fire has destroyed homes and continues to threaten the area. I know that if the situations were reversed, we could count on our neighboring communities and fire agencies to help us and we are happy to be able to support Kamiah and the surrounding community in their time of need. On behalf of the Moscow Rural Fire Commissioners, the City of Moscow and our community, I want to say thank you to our great Volunteers who have stepped up and graciously given their time and taken the time off work to commit to this event. It goes without saying what type of organization we have here in Moscow and the surrounding area. I also want to say thank you to all those organizations around us such as Pullman, Lewiston, Potlatch and many others who have sacrificed over the last week or more for the events in the Pacific Northwest.  We are indeed lucky to live and work in such a great place."

###

Story Contact: Chief Brian Nickerson
Phone: 636.384.6599
Email: bnickerson at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:bnickerson at ci.moscow.id.us>

The City of Moscow delivers quality municipal services while ensuring responsible use of resources. We anticipate and meet the needs of our diverse population in order to build public trust and enhance a sense of community.