[Vision2020] Realclimate.org 4-13-15: Ruddiman's Early Anthropogenic Climate Impact Theory

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 18:14:46 PDT 2015

Article referenced in subject heading:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2015/04/a-scientific-debate/

A Scientific Debate Filed under: Climate Science — mike @ 13 April 2015

Bill Ruddiman, University of Virginia
-----------------------------------

Debi's one post in this thread merely said:

Thanks, Ted. this is good info, and assists me when i talk to folks with
little science background and a denier agenda---you are always on top of
it!  I have watched climate denier folks melt-down when confronted with
facts that refute their disbelief---even they can only suspend disbelief
until their arms hurt a bunch....and most of them don't have the muscle
mass....
debi R-S
-------------------------
Scott Dredge wrote:

To Ted: Regarding Debi's post, I was having trouble relating to her comment
that presenting data to those with little scientific background coupled
with a denier agenda would have any effect whatsoever on those types.  How
would an exchange with those such deniers even go down?

-------------------------
How would it go down?  Their arms would fall toward the ground, when their
muscle mass gave out!

I think she was making an attempt at humor, it seems to me...

Those with sufficient muscle mass might hold out indefinitely....

But why is the main point of the subject heading article being ignored?

The main point of the article by climate scientist Ruddiman on
Realclimate.org, referenced in this thread, was arguing against the claim
there is a plot (my wording) among climate scientists to block expression
of science that contradicts major human caused global warming occurring.

To quote:  "I see no evidence that the system is muffling good new ideas."

There was no argument presented by Ruddiman in that article, that human
induced global warming is a major problem that demands action, that I
read.

Please show me where he made such an argument, if I missed it.

He was offering a history of his attempt to professionally present what
many climate scientists consider a controversial theory about
pre-industrial human induced climate change.

Regardless of whether or not a person thinks human caused global warming is
or is not going to be a major problem, unless we address it, the conspiracy
theory claiming climate scientists are globally plotting (it would have to
be global, with scientists from all over the world in general agreement on
this issue!) to manufacture a global warming crisis strikes me as
pathologically paranoid!

A hilarious take on such a conspiracy theory, worth a laugh for anyone,
regardless of their views on anthropogenic climate change, is at the
website below, and pasted in...

http://www.monbiot.com/2009/11/23/the-knights-carbonic/

The Knights Carbonic

Yes, the hacked climate emails are damaging. But here’s the one you’d need
to see if you wanted to show that manmade global warming is a scam.

By George Monbiot, published in the Guardian, 23rd November 2009

It’s no use pretending that this isn’t a major blow. The emails extracted
by a hacker from the climatic research unit at the University of East
Anglia could scarcely be more damaging(1 <http://www.anelegantchaos.org/>).
I am now convinced that they are genuine, and I’m dismayed and deeply
shaken by them.

Yes, the messages were obtained illegally. Yes, all of us say things in
emails that would be excruciating if made public. Yes, some of the comments
have been taken out of context. But there are some messages that require no
spin to make them look bad. There appears to be evidence here of attempts
to prevent scientific data from being released(2
<http://www.anelegantchaos.org/cru/emails.php?eid=914&filename=1219239172.txt>
,3
<http://www.anelegantchaos.org/cru/emails.php?eid=490&filename=1107454306.txt>),
and even to destroy material that was subject to a freedom of information
request(4
<http://www.anelegantchaos.org/cru/emails.php?eid=891&filename=1212063122.txt>
).

Worse still, some of the emails suggest efforts to prevent the publication
of work by climate sceptics(5
<http://www.anelegantchaos.org/cru/emails.php?eid=307&filename=1051190249.txt>
,6
<http://www.anelegantchaos.org/cru/emails.php?eid=484&filename=1106322460.txt>),
or to keep it out of a report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
Change(7
<http://www.anelegantchaos.org/cru/emails.php?eid=419&filename=1089318616.txt>).
I believe that the head of the unit, Phil Jones, should now resign. Some of
the data discussed in the emails should be re-analysed.

But do these revelations justify the sceptics’ claims that this is “the
final nail in the coffin” of global warming theory?(8
<http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100017393/climategate-the-final-nail-in-the-coffin-of-anthropogenic-global-warming/>
,9 <http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=116882>) Not at all.
They damage the credibility of three or four scientists. They raise
questions about the integrity of one or perhaps two out of several hundred
lines of evidence. To bury manmade climate change, a far wider conspiracy
would have to be revealed. Luckily for the sceptics, and to my intense
disappointment, I have now been passed the damning email which confirms
that the entire science of global warming is indeed a scam. Had I known
that it was this easy to rig the evidence, I wouldn’t have wasted years of
my life promoting a bogus discipline. In the interests of open discourse, I
feel obliged to reproduce it here.