[Vision2020] Fw: greed

Scott Dredge scooterd408 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 21 20:15:36 PDT 2014

It's wise to make the donations in person.  This prevents a healthy percentage of your donation going to professional solicitors commissioned by the charity.  A few last comments I have on this is that I spent a number of years on both the UI Alumni Association board of directors as well as on the UI Foundation.  The Alumni Association was fun, the UI Foundation wasn't my cup of tea.  I don't like fund raising activities because 1) I'm a terrible salesman, and 2) I'd rather just donate money than donate my time asking others for money.  I'm a big fan of the UI Foundation endowments.  However, when working on one the capital campaigns, we were instructed to ask for 'unrestricted' donations which is something I'm vehemently against.  To me this is just the University asking for money that can be immediately spent after which they'll just come back and ask you to donate more money that can be immediately spent.  Forget that.  Instead, I'm a proponent of donating money to an endowment to force the Foundation to manage that money properly and invest it wisely such that they can spend, per the guidelines of the endowment, what they earn from the investments.