[Vision2020] KTVB and the NSA

Paul Rumelhart paul.rumelhart at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 18:34:38 PDT 2014

"Wikipedia?"

Yes, wikipedia.  With links to sources and a full editing history you can
peruse.  Perfectly acceptable for this kind of thing.

"Do you realize that private businesses are FAR more capable of intruding
into your private affairs than any government agency?"

A private business is incapable of putting a closet in AT&T and recording
all phone calls, for example.  Except, perhaps, AT&T, I suppose.  They also
have customers and possibly shareholders to worry about.  There are also
laws they must follow, not being powerful enough to ignore them on a whim.
Besides, there are already tools you can use to mitigate what they can do,
such as AdBlock, NoScript, Ghostery, Cookie Monster, Perspectives, Random
User Agent Spoofer, and others.  All things that, when I described them in
earlier posts, you called me "paranoid" for suggesting others use them.

"Another thing . . .

If we were to restrict government technological capabilities, the potential
of foreign intrusion into our national security, right here in the Great
Forty-eight (the 48 contiguous states), would increase dramatically.
 Recent Chinese hacking into a couple banks is an example."

The idea of "restricting government technological capabilities" reminds me
that one of the things the NSA is supposed to be doing is working with
companies and citizens to protect their data by coming up with standards
and protocols that can be used.  Instead, they are weakening encryption
systems by providing weak random number generators to make it easier for
them to hack them, and forcing companies to put in back doors with secret
national security letters.

The other thing they are supposed to be doing is hacking our enemies
systems.  Instead they are hacking yours and mine.  What they are not
supposed to be doing, a la the Fourth Amendment, is searching your data and
mine without probable cause and a proper warrant.

What does our government do about it?  Try to get Snowden and beef up
restrictions on whistle blowers.

Paul