[Vision2020] PR - Best-selling author to speak at Palouse Basin Water Summit

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Thu Oct 2 16:24:14 PDT 2014

City of Moscow
206 E Third Street
Moscow, ID 83843
Contact: Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor
p     |  208.883.7006
e     |   griedner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:griedner at ci.moscow.id.us>
w    |  www.ci.moscow.id.us<http://www.ci.moscow.id.us>

PRESS RELEASE
Best-selling author to speak at Palouse Basin Water Summit - CORRECTED

October 2, 2014 (Moscow, Idaho) - The Palouse Basin Water Summit Planning Committee is hosting the 10th Annual Palouse Basin Water Summit, "Reimagine," to be held on Thursday, October 16th from 4:30 to 8 p.m. at the Best Western Plus University Inn, 1516 West Pullman Road in Moscow.  The annual community dialogue about water provides gallons of great information and pints of perspective about how we continue to manage this important resource. The event is free and open to the public

The 2014 Summit keynote is best-selling business journalist and author of The Big Thirst - The Secret Life and Turbulent Future of Water, Charles Fishman.  As Fishman writes in his book, "Almost every community in the United States has water problems. The good news is, water problems can be solved, and the sooner we start thinking about them, the less expensive those solutions are. The bad news is, water problems can't be solved quickly, and when there's a water crisis, the quick solutions are expensive. Water requires thinking about the future not in sunny, optimistic terms but in frankly realistic terms."

"We delight in watching waves roll in from the ocean; we take great comfort from sliding into a hot bath; and we will pay a thousand times the price of tap water to drink our preferred brand of the bottled version. We love water-but at the moment, we don't appreciate it or respect it. Just as we've begun to reimagine our relationship to food, a change that is driving the growth of the organic and local food movements, we must also rethink how we approach and use water. Knowing what to do is not the problem. Ultimately, the hardest part is changing our water consciousness," writes Fishman.

Jon Kimberling, Summit co-founder notes, "We hope the Summit will change the way we think about water and our relationship to it, and about the creativity we can bring to ensuring that we'll always have plenty of it. Fishman's The Big Thirst explores this important connection we have to water."

The Summit will also feature former Department of Interior legal counsel to Dirk Kempthorne and natural resource attorney L. Michael Bogert and the annual "State of the Basin" report by Steve Robischon, Executive Manager, Palouse Basin Aquifer Committee.  Returning to the program again this year, Allyson Beall King, WSU School of Environment, will lead the audience through an interactive dialogue about our water supply and community perceptions. Moscow High School Future Problem Solvers will share some of their recent work from The Confluence Project Youth Water Summit. New to the Summit agenda, the University of Idaho's Sustainability Center will challenge attendees with a blind water tasting featuring local municipal, bottled and filtered waters.

Summit attendees can sign up to win a low-flow toilet. Appetizers and beverages will be available. Registration is requested and can be done online at palousewatersummit.org.

Further information about the keynote speaker:

[http://charles-fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Fish-Author-Photo-2011-2-copy-239x300.jpg]       [http://charles-fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/book1.jpg]

Fishman is a former metro and national reporter for the Washington Post, and was a reporter and editor at the Orlando Sentinel and the News & Observer in Raleigh, NC. Since 1996, he has worked for the innovative business magazine Fast Company. Fishman has won numerous awards, including three times receiving UCLA's Gerald Loeb Award, the most prestigious award in business journalism.

###

Story Contact: Jon Kimberling/Paul Kimmell, Summit Co-founders, Palouse Basin Water Summit
Phone: 208.882.4414 or 509.336.6236
Email: jon at kimberlinginsurance.com<mailto:jon at kimberlinginsurance.com> / paul.kimmell at avistacorp.com<mailto:paul.kimmell at avistacorp.com>
Web: http://palousewatersummit.org

The City of Moscow delivers quality municipal services while ensuring responsible use of resources.
We anticipate and meet the needs of our diverse population in order to build public trust and enhance a sense of community.