[Vision2020] Challening issues

Rosemary Huskey donaldrose at cpcinternet.com
Sat Nov 29 21:24:12 PST 2014

Hi Scott,

Thanks for wading through my (once again unedited) message.  Most literate
folks will shake their head at reading "Challening" rather than Challenging.
Thanks for not mentioning it.  On to more important things.

I don't suppose that anyone will have a complete sense of what thought
process informed the grand jury. I hope that more than one of them will
write a well-documented tell all book.   I mentioned the specific history of
Missouri racism based on attitudes I knew from childhood. My mother, who was
born, educated, and lived in Missouri until well into her 30s could not have
been described as a civil rights advocate.  Missouri was a slave state with
a long post Civil War history of segregation, race based hate crimes,
lynching, and more currently, segregated schools as late as the  mid 1960s.
The following contemporary work offers well documented examples of life in
Ferguson and the greater St. Louis area:
<http://www.epi.org/publication/making-ferguson/> The Making of Ferguson
Public Policies at the Root of its Troubles By Richard Rothstein.  The paper
is lengthy, but is extraordinarily well researched and offers concrete
examples of the effects of institutionalization of white privilege.

I don't believe that the cultural ambiance of St. Louis, or the white civic
power structure encourages an introspection examination and exposure of the
racist history (and present problems) of their state or city.  There has
been a great deal of legitimate criticism (by that I mean from professionals
within the legal community) on the conduct of and the material presented by
Prosecutor Robert McCulloch.  Certainly we can compare and contrast remarks
made by a conservative justice,
<http://thefreethoughtproject.com/supreme-court-justice-scalias-words-expose
-ferguson-grand-jury-legal-farce/> Anton Scalia, commenting on the purpose
and duty of a grand jury, with Mr. McCulloch's mismanagement of the grand
jury.  I don't think, given the circumstances, race can be separated from
Officer Wilson's behavior, (who appears to be a rather pathetic figure with
a constellation of unresolved issues), the actions of Prosecutor McCulloch
who carries a heavy load of historic heartache, or the verdict of the jury.
They are who they are and acted accordingly.    And, no matter how much we
would like to think otherwise it is an unsavory yet accurate picture of life
in America.

Rose