[Vision2020] yet another political compass

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Fri Nov 7 14:13:14 PST 2014

On 11/7/2014 12:09 PM, Paul Rumelhart wrote:

> Polls like this really make me wish that third parties were larger in
> this country.

In the contemporary environment of dark money and the corporatization of
political activities within the traditional winner-take-all election
structure, forming additional parties with miniscule chances of
electoral success is an only semi-rational strategy for exercising
political power.

More substantive change is needed.  The long and short of it is that the
system needs to be used against itself by way of forming political
action committees to fund electoral processes to approve structural
changes in the election system and its processes.  The federal electoral
college needs to be replaced with a single transferable vote system that
operates nationally rather than through state-selected electors.
Analogous systems within states would allow representation to be
selected that better matches the preferences of the electorate.

Since implementation of these suggestions would require amendment of the
federal constitution, and, analogously, of state constitutions, I do not
expect they will be done soon, if at all.  Suffice it to say better
alternatives to our current system are imaginable and implementable, but
the needed fixes likely are neither quick nor easy.

Ken