[Vision2020] You know you’re a military mom . . .

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon May 5 15:13:59 PDT 2014

Courtesy of the Army Times.

-----------------------------------

You know you’re a military mom ...

Whether you’re a mom in the military, a spouse who’s a mom, or the mom of a service member, you know the heartache of de­ployments and separations, and the effects of the upheaval of military moves.

But pride, patriotism and a good dose of humor are the hall­marks of the comments we re­ceived to our Facebook query “You know you’re a military mom if ...”

Texting, calling, emailing and Skyping are as essential as eat­ing and drinking for some. Time and again, mothers said they sleep with cellphones on their pillowsin case their child calls from afar in the middle of the night. And they will knock down anyone or anything in their path to get to the phone when it rings.

And whether they’re moms of active-duty troops, active duty themselves, or spouses of troops — or all of the above — they often take on a mothering role to other active-duty members.

Whatever your role or branch of service, be ready to laugh, cry — and identify.

--------------------

You know you’re a military mom ...

AIR FORCE

“... when your kids have traveled through and lived in more states by their 10th birthday than the average middle-aged adult.”

— Stephanie Mestichelli-Schopfer

“... when mom is TDY and the CDC ladies tell Dad to bring the hair accessories.”

— Christine Anderson

“... when your kiddo asks, ‘where are we moving next?!’ about every two years and can already name options for potential assignments and give their input and prefer­ences.”

— Michelle Hurley Kemp “... when your 5-year-old asks, at least 3 times a week, if we’ve gotten orders yet ... to Hawaii ... lol ... optimistic kiddo.”

— Kati Torres

“... when you miss important moments of your kids’ [lives] to execute the mission, but they never mention it; your kids re­mind you to get your CAC and hat every morning ...”

— Misty Southerland

“... when your kids are playing and they scream, ‘Fire in hole.’ ”

— Elizabeth Sexton

ARMY

“... when at your change of re­sponsibility, your 5-year-old tags the battalion CSM and com­mander and declares them ‘it.’ ”

— Erica Jones Lehmkuhl

“ ... when you run out of nursery rhymes and sing cadence to a fussy baby, and they like cadence better.”

— Kailey Burrus

“... if leaving on deployment brings you both exhilarating joy that you’re about to make a dif­ference in the world while in combat and simultaneously brings you to the depths of de­spair to leave your children be­hind.”

— Dana Fischl

“... when you call your kids from the demo range on Mother’s Day so they can hear you detonate explosives!”

— Terri Christiansen

“... when you’re walking through the electronics department and your 1-year-old points at a com­puter and yells ‘dadda, dadda!!’ ”

— Abby Jackson

“... when you have pumped [breast milk] in the car on the way to PT ... when you’ve pumped while at the range.”

— Brandi Fogle Vannoy “... when your daughter says, ‘I never have to be scared, my Mom­my’s a soldier and she protects us from bad guys better than a superhero can.’ ”

— Stephanie Gavin

“... when your kids have hugged the legs of multiple soldiers be­cause of the uniform, before rea­lizing that’s not their daddy.”

— Bethany Lopez

“... when you send care packages not only to your son, but all of his battle buddies.”

— Cheryl Sexton Tolan

“... when your 2-year-old refers to naptime as 1300.”

— Laura McGraw Wert

“... when your daughter at her kindergarten graduation states she wants ‘to be a soldier just like my mommy’ when she grows up and it brings tears to your eyes.”

— Dawn Metro Flynn

“... when you call cadence to get your toddlers to leave the house. ‘Your left, left, left right left.’ ”

— Rosemarie McAllister

MARINE CORPS

“... when your son comes home from boot camp, sits on the porch next to you and hands you a huge bundle of envelopes tied with a boot lace, and says “thank you mom for writing me all these hundreds of letters, it’s what got me through.”

— Holly Cousins-Schaefer

http://www.MoscowCares.com

- John Lennon