[Vision2020] No progress on teacher contract

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Jun 26 05:00:43 PDT 2014

Courtesy of today's (June 26, 2014) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

------------------------------------
No progress on teacher contract
MSD, education association still at odds
Another Moscow School District and Moscow Education Association negotiation ended Wednesday night without an agreement on teacher salary or fringe benefit increases.
The MEA lowered its salary increase request to 2.6 percent, down from 3.5 percent in the previous negotiation meeting earlier this month.
“Our membership decided this is our bottom line,” said Mike Wear, MEA lead negotiator. “We started this process thinking we could arrive at some mutually acceptable place, but it is becoming obvious that we are not coming together on that.”
The school district responded with an offer of an 1.65 percent increase, up from the previous 1.5 percent.
Margaret Dibble, MSD lead negotiator, said the increase is the best option they can offer based on the projected budget.
“You are way high,” she said. “We need to build up our fund balance and live off of it for as long as we can.”
Dibble said she has tried to keep the school district stable, which she believes they have been able to accomplish without layoffs, furloughs or salary cuts in recent years.
Tension in the room arose when school district officials stated the deadline to reach an agreement was July 1, and they did not believe there was time for additional negotiations.
“If we can’t reach an agreement, then we can’t reach an agreement, “ Dibble said. “There will be a raise of 1.65 percent increase at least.”
The MEA fought back, saying according to negotiation rules, no contract will be created until there is a mutual agreement. The school district agreed to meet again at 3 p.m. today in the Moscow High School band room with its membership one last time before heading into negotiations with the school district at 6 a.m. Friday in the same location.

http://www.MoscowCares.com