[Vision2020] Rep. Renee Ellmers (R-NC) representing the womenof the Republican Party . . .

Paul Rumelhart paul.rumelhart at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 19:31:00 PDT 2014

Sure.  First, let me preface this before I do the research that most of
those issues were not at the top of my list when I voted for him.  Civil
liberties was pretty much the list at that point since our current
President had failed me so badly when I had so much hope for change on that
topic.  It was something that neither of the two mainstream parties was
going to do anything about, apparently.

He's been described as fiscally conservative, pro-civil liberties, and
non-interventionist.

Immigration: He favors a work visa program for illegal immigrants, giving
them two years to get one and a "one-strike" rule if they break the
conditions of the visa.  He wants them to undergo background checks, so
that criminals can be sent home.  He opposes a wall at the border or using
the national guard to secure the border.  He thinks that if we end the "War
on Drugs" and legalize marijuana that most of the violence at the border
will go away.  He is for immigrants who are on a valid visa and have shown
that they can afford to to be able to bring their families over.
Basically, he wants the hard-working immigrants to pay into the system and
the criminal element to go back home.

National debt:  He went on record stating that he would have had submitted
a balanced budget by 2013 and that he would veto any bills where the
expenditures were greater than the revenues.  He would have pushed for an
amendment to the Constitution to requiring a balanced budget every year.
He did not support TARP, ARRA, stimulus bills or many of the other ways
that previous administrations had tried to combat the problem.  He is a
proponent of the FairTax system.

Intellectual Property:  I couldn't find much.  He appears to support
current copyright law for books, movies, music, etc.  He is against patent
trolls; he thinks patents should only go to those who have a viable product
or prototype.  He appears to be against net neutrality, which is a strike
against him for me.

Cyberwarfare: I haven't found anything directly relating to this. He wants
to cut defense spending by 43% and he wants to repeal the Patriot Act.  I
suspect that he would be against offensive cyber warfare, and that he would
be against increased surveillance not directly related to national security
concerns.

I got a lot of this from this Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Gary_Johnson  Take a
look yourself; I may have mangled his points by trying to summarize them.

Paul