[Vision2020] Hobby Lobby co-pay free birth control options

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Tue Jul 15 13:17:58 PDT 2014

As much as you try to ignore the matter, it isn’t just about affordable birth control; it’s about allowing employers to dictate what appropriate mainstream medical care employees spend their compensation on.

The fact of the matter is that IUDs have appropriate accepted medical uses besides contraceptive use – something like 8-15% of women who have IUDs have them for medical reasons other than contraception.  I know that’s an inconvenient fact for you, but it is nonetheless a fact, and a fact that was completely ignored by SCOTUS, by Gary, by Scott, and by Paul.

Allowing employers to “opt out” of covering the most appropriate mainstream legal treatment decided by a woman and her doctor is discrimination on the basis of gender, plain and simple, not to mention wholly inappropriate.

And, when your employer “opts out” of covering, for instance, triple-bypasses for men over 50 because it’s thwarting God’s will or for any other silly “religious” reason, I’ll be just as outraged.  I’ll think it just as wrong for men to have to purchase private “heart disease” coverage “just in case” or schlepp around looking for cheaper care when your employer puts itself in your doctor’s office.

It’s really too bad you have such a low opinion of the health care needs for women.

And, Scott, you think there will “eventually” be some solution, but what about the basic health care needs of women in the meantime?  It’s just so unimportant that it’s OK for us to hope and pray that – eventually – you’ll be right?  Would your attitude be so caviler if it were your gender-based basic health care needs?  I guess we just tell rape victims desperate to prevent pregnancy who need EC to just wait . . . it’s all get sorted out in the wash.

Saundra

Moscow, ID

Well-behaved women seldom make history.

~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich