[Vision2020] Corporations and Religious Beliefs

Paul Rumelhart paul.rumelhart at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 21:29:46 PDT 2014

Sunil, I don't know, actually.  Some rights make sense to me.  If you have
defined your corporation as one which has complete transparency (as an
example), you shouldn't be forced to give information to the government
about your customers without their consent or knowledge.  If your
corporation has no rights, then they have no way to object to this
otherwise and their bylaws are just pretty pieces of poetry.

Other rights don't make much sense.  Corporations shouldn't be able to vote
in elections, for instance.  Others I have no idea about.

As an aside, I keep seeing this Hobby Lobby thing being framed as "limiting
the reproductive rights of female employees" or something similar like you
have done in your post.  Is there a right to have your favourite
contraceptive be covered on your employer-provided health care plan?  You
realize that this ruling in no way stops Hobby Lobby's employees from using
whatever contraceptives they want to use, right?  They just aren't
covered.  If there is such a thing as a "reproductive right" (and I'm not
saying there isn't), they still have it.

Paul