[Vision2020] A fine point, perhaps.

Sunil sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 1 19:53:06 PDT 2014

Paul,

I never said you remarked about me or said anything about me. I don't think you did. I find your statement offensive because it attempts to reduce women's reproductive rights and the impact of that control to women trying to get free contraception. 'Those women just want to have lots of sex and have someone else pay for it.'

I'm not going to write a treatise here about how a woman's ability to control her own body impacts much of her life and her employment options. If you don't think that's true, or don't think it's important, then I doubt I'm going to change your mind. But for some context, here's Limbaugh talking about Sandra Fluke:

'The conservative radio host sparked outrage
 on Wednesday when he called Fluke "a slut" and "a prostitute." He
alleged that she was "having so much sex" that she couldn't afford
contraception.

He went further
 the next day, adding, "if we're going to pay for your contraceptives
and thus pay for you to have sex, we want something for it. We want you
to post the videos online so we can all watch."'

I don't know if that's the company you want to keep, but that's what your comment looks like to me.

You talk about taking a libertarian position,  but you're jumping in with the people who want to restrict contraception because they want to limit women's choices and options. This is happening as states do their best to make abortion as inaccessible as they can; do you remember the attempt by Chuck Winder to pass legislation in Idaho to require an intrusive ultrasound examination for women?

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/feb/27/pre-abortion-ultrasound-bill-introduced-idaho/

Maybe you prefer a narrative where you're a libertarian bravely fighting for individual rights, but you're placing yourself with the repressive folks who are still fighting a culture war to restrict womens' options.

And the thing is, the law didn't force people to sacrifice their religious beliefs. It made a legal fiction, created to limit personal liability, provide contraception as part of employment compensation.

Tell me this: How is it the corporation's owners get to limit their personal liability for their own financial protection, yet demand the protection of their consciences? They want the personal advantage the corporate form provides, yet they claim their personal religious beliefs are being imposed on. Sorry. You want the personal benefit the corporate form provides? Then take the bitter with the sweet, and don't impose your religion on your employees.

 Scott, do you really think this is just limited to Hobby Lobby. You do see that it's a way for other corporations to make the same claim? Which right is being restricted? The right of a woman to control her reproduction. That right.

Sunil