[Vision2020] A fine point, perhaps.

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Tue Jul 1 12:21:54 PDT 2014

Paul wrote:

“It's subsidized by everyone who pays into it, plus what the employer pays.”

Boy, you sure are out of touch with how modern employer-based health insurance is paid!  Keep current, Paul, rather than disseminate long outdated sound bites.

The last time I checked, my husband and I paid 100% of the cost of my health insurance through the UI, and that’s the way it was for all state employees the last time I checked.  That’s been the trend, too, with private sector employer-based health insurance for a number of years, as well as eroding the percentage of employer subsidy for the employee.  Indeed, there are more than a few employers who offer absolutely no health insurance subsidy for employees – their position is that their “subsidy” is allowing the employee the benefit of being a part of a larger group that gets a lower rate.

Paul also wrote:

“I don't see a problem with a small group of "close-knit" people with similar beliefs objecting to something they feel goes against their religious beliefs.”

Of course you don’t, but it’s good to know you belong in the “tyranny of the bigots” category that thinks that anyone should be able to impose their religious beliefs on those with different beliefs, which certainly contradicts a lot of the positions you’ve stated on V2020.  I’m in the category of thinking that people are free to believe whatever they want, but they don’t have the right to force their religious beliefs on me.

Too, why on earth should you care that about 90% of companies in America responsible for employing approximately 52% of working Americans qualify as “small closely-held” companies that can now use wholly false religious bigotry to deny access to necessary health care for female employees and employees with female family members?  That may be the America you want to live in, but it isn’t the one the majority of Americans want to live in.

Paul also wrote:

“Especially when the consequence is to pay for a specific contraceptive yourself.”

Once again, your gender ignorance and economic insensitivity would be stunning had you not exhibited them so many times before.

Yes, the American way is to force female crime victims to bear the cost of being raped by men, isn’t it, Paul, and that religious American ideal should be preserved at all costs, shouldn’t it?  It’s also the American way relegate “immoral” women to forced breeder status when they have sex, isn’t it?

And, of course it’s of no consequence to you that the cost of an IUD for women for whom that form of birth control is most appropriate is about a month’s wage for lower paid employees without health insurance . . . or for plans that exclude coverage for women.  That may be economically feasible for you since you don’t fall into that category, but here’s a news flash for you:  that is as financially impossible for many women, particularly women who have children to feed & clothe.  Yet you find it appropriate for religious bigots to punish women & children in an attempt to coerce “moral” behavior out of those uppity women.

Of course, a viable alternative might have been to direct those women to non-profit family planning clinics like Planned Parenthood where contraceptives are more affordable.  At least, that might have been a viable alternative before the Religious Right started its war on women.  Oops – guess that’s not a viable alternative for a lot of women anymore.

Saundra

Moscow, ID

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.