[Vision2020] Solar Activity 2008-2013 Lowest in 100 Years, Yet Global Avg. Temp. 2013 Fourth Warmest Since 1880

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 12:50:47 PST 2014

We have often heard from so called "skeptics" of the magnitude of human
impacts on Earth's climate leading to global warming, that solar activity
is a major causal factor resulting in the undeniable temperature increase
in global average surface temperatures in the modern instrumental
temperature record, since the late 1800s.

However, in the past 5-6 years, solar activity has continued in the solar
cycle, from the 2008-09 minimum to the current maximum, to be the lowest in
100 years:

http://www.appinsys.com/NASASolar.htm

"First, it coincided with the deepest solar minimum in nearly 100 years,
contradicting models that say a fast-moving belt should boost sunspot
production. So where have all the sunspots been? The solar minimum of
2008-2009 was unusually deep..."
----------------
And regarding the current solar maximum:

http://www.space.com/23934-weak-solar-cycle-space-weather.html

SAN FRANCISCO — The sun's current space-weather cycle is the most anemic in
100 years, scientists say."Our star is now at "solar
maximum<http://www.space.com/21937-sun-solar-weather-peak-is-weak.html>,"
the peak phase of its 11-year activity cycle.

But this solar max is weak, and the overall current cycle, known as Solar
Cycle 24, conjures up comparisons to the famously feeble Solar Cycle 14 in
the early 1900s, researchers said."
------------------------------
Yet we have this finding from the NCDC.  Note 1998 was the only year from
the last century globally warmer than 2013!

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2013/13

The year 2013 ties with 2003 as the fourth warmest year globally since
records began in 1880. The annual global combined land and ocean surface
temperature was 0.62°C (1.12°F) above the 20th century average of 13.9°C
(57.0°F). This marks the 37th consecutive year (since 1976) that the yearly
global temperature was above average. Currently, the warmest year on record
is 2010, which was 0.66°C (1.19°F) above average. Including 2013, 9 of the
10 warmest years in the 134-year period of record have occurred in the
21stcentury. Only one year during the 20
th century—1998—was warmer than 2013.
---------------------------------
So why the headlines in the media warming of plunging temperatures from low
solar activity?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2541599/Is-mini-ice-age-way-Scientists-warn-Sun-gone-sleep-say-cause-temperatures-plunge.html
Is a mini ice age on the way? Scientists warn the Sun has 'gone to sleep'
and say it could cause temperatures to plunge
---------------------------------
It appears a more appropriate headline might read:

Lowest Solar Activity in 100 Years Does Not Result in Global Average
Surface Temperatures Plunging Due to Radiative Forcing from Anthropogenic
Greenhouse Gas Emissions

Pasted in below is my response to a local anthropogenic climate change
skeptic who argued in 2008 that solar activity greatly explains
contemporary global temperature variations, not mostly human activity.  It
appears since 2008 empirical data regarding global temperature and solar
activity has rendered his argument even weaker than it was in 2008!
[Vision2020] Solar Energy As Climate Variable

http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2008-June/054435.html