[Vision2020] Op ED from NYT by BSU Professor: "When May I Shoot a Student?"

Lynn McCollough lmccollough at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 09:02:07 PST 2014

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/28/opinion/when-may-i-shoot-a-student.html?_r=0

BOISE, Idaho -- TO the chief counsel of the Idaho State Legislature:

In light of the bill permitting guns on our state's college and university
campuses, which is likely to be approved by the state House of
Representatives in the coming days, I have a matter of practical concern
that I hope you can help with: When may I shoot a student?

I am a biology professor, not a lawyer, and I had never considered bringing
a gun to work until now. But since many of my students are likely to be
armed, I thought it would be a good idea to even the playing field.

I have had encounters with disgruntled students over the years, some of
whom seemed quite upset, but I always assumed that when they reached into
their backpacks they were going for a pencil. Since I carry a pen to
lecture, I did not feel outgunned; and because there are no working
sharpeners in the lecture hall, the most they could get off is a single
point. But now that we'll all be packing heat, I would like legal
instruction in the rules of classroom engagement.

At present, the harshest penalty available here at Boise State is
expulsion, used only for the most heinous crimes, like cheating on Scantron
exams. But now that lethal force is an option, I need to know which
infractions may be treated as de facto capital crimes.

I assume that if a student shoots first, I am allowed to empty my clip; but
given the velocity of firearms, and my aging reflexes, I'd like to be
proactive. For example, if I am working out a long equation on the board
and several students try to correct me using their laser sights, am I
allowed to fire a warning shot?

If two armed students are arguing over who should be served next at the
coffee bar and I sense escalating hostility, should I aim for the legs and
remind them of the campus Shared-Values Statement (which reads, in part,
"Boise State strives to provide a culture of civility and success where all
feel safe and free from discrimination, harassment, threats or
intimidation")?

While our city police chief has expressed grave concerns about allowing
guns on campus, I would point out that he already has one. I'm glad that
you were not intimidated by him, and did not allow him to speak at the
public hearing on the bill (though I really enjoyed the 40 minutes you gave
to the National Rifle Association spokesman).

Knee-jerk reactions from law enforcement officials and university
presidents are best set aside. Ignore, for example, the lame argument that
some drunken frat boys will fire their weapons in violation of best
practices. This view is based on stereotypical depictions of drunken frat
boys, a group whose dignity no one seems willing to defend.