[Vision2020] Caturday (December 6, 2014)

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Sat Dec 6 05:36:24 PST 2014

Courtesy of Hawaii News Now at:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/27538794/cat-survives-month-in-moving-box-trip-to-hi

---------------------------------------

Cat survives month in moving box, trip to Hawaii

SUFFOLK, VA (WAVY/CNN) - A family said its cat took an accidental trip from Virginia to Hawaii in a moving box and lived to meow again.

The animal was supposed to stay with relatives, but apparently Memeow had a different plan. It was moving day for the Barth family when their beloved pet went missing.

"I was really worried and starting to think the worst," Ashley Barth said Tuesday. "Maybe she ran away; maybe the movers scared her."

The Barths stayed in their empty Suffolk home a few extra days hoping she'd turn up. Eventually, they couldn't wait any longer.

"My girls were devastated, trying to tell me that I couldn't leave without Memeow," Barth said.

The land and sea journey for the Barth family's belongings took more than a month.

When move-in day finally came, something surprising came with it - a quick, faint meow from one of the boxes.

"The guy goes 'what was that sound?'" Barth said. "My heart just kind of sunk for a minute, and I thought, 'No. No way.' And then we heard it again, and the guy said, 'Was that a cat?'"

It was Memeow clinging to possibly her last life.

I was in shock," Barth said. "I couldn't believe it. I think I was grateful that she was alive, but I was furious this happened to her."

Barth said Memeow could barely walk and had lost almost half her weight, but somehow she survived more than a month without food or water.

"She came right up to my daughters and right to me and wouldn't let us leave her side," she said.

Memeow is at a veterinarian's office for a three-month quarantine because she didn't have proper vaccinations, and that's costing the family $4,000. But call it curiosity or a moving company's mistake - the Barth family calls it a miracle.

"I'm just as shocked as they are," Barth said. "I have no idea how she did it."

Veterinarians said it's nearly impossible a cat could survive such a long time without food or water. Factors like her weight before she left and the level of humidity inside the box could have kept her alive.

A family's cat survived being trapped in a moving box and the trek from Virginia to Hawaii.

http://www.moscowcares.com/Caturday/Caturday_120614.jpg

Video

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/clip/10912835/cat-survives-month-in-shipping-box

http://www.MoscowCares.com