[Vision2020] Political correctness run amok

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Tue Apr 29 15:19:03 PDT 2014

Frankly, I think he’s a “dirty old man” with a great looking young woman friend, and his prejudices and bigotry extend far beyond what he has just said.  Even so,  it would seem to me he has a First Amendment right to say what he thinks.  Not knowing what the bylaws of the NBA say to this issue, I do wonder how they can ban him from games when he owns the team, and I imagine the courts will be asked to resolve that issue. If the KKK has a First Amendment right to march down the streets of American cities (and I don’t argue they do) then maybe Magic Johnson should just have to “suck it up.”   I believe the First Amendment is precious...and yes, there are consequences for speech that harms, but we have to be very wary of consequences for something that is purely speech and not overt behavior, which is discrimination and often illegal.

Perhaps the NBA could look into the Cliven Bundy case and remove him from his ranch just as Sterling has been removed from the Arena.  Well maybe their bylaws don’t extend that far.  Damn.

Sue H.