[Vision2020] Case not made on land exchange

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Tue Apr 22 04:40:30 PDT 2014

Courtesy of today's (April 22, 2014) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

Letter: Case not made on land exchange
Despite what I read in the newspapers about the status of the Upper Lochsa Land Exchange - what Sen. Jim Risch says, what Western Pacific Timber's Andy Hawes says - I will continue to assume all national forest parcels previously suggested for exchange are still on the table including those in Latah, Clearwater and Benewah counties as well as Idaho County.
Whether the exchange is based on "value for value" or "acre for acre" doesn't matter. Basically, they are both bad, particularly when you factor in "conservation easements" with a value for value exchange. Conservation easements translate to "restrictions on the use of the land." WPT would not agree to "not develop" out of the goodness of their heart. They would expect and receive monetary compensation as reflected by reduced valuation of the national forest parcels.
The most basic question in the exchange issue is: "Why pursue this exchange?" While I can support purchase of the Upper Lochsa parcels, the U.S. Forest Service did not make a case for an exchange - not even close - and they know it. That's why they never issued a final decision following public review of their draft environmental impact statement and supplemental environmental impact statement nor did they release the findings following public review. Their most staunch supporter - early in the process - The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, dropped its support mid-stream.
Help Sen. Risch ponder this "admittedly low priority project." Let him know what you think about it.
Blake Ballard, Moscow

http://www.MoscowCares.com

- John Lennon